PDA

View Full Version : logs

johnferrebee10@yahoo.com
06-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Are coconut tree logs durable enough to constuct a log cabin? I have traveled several different asian countries with an ample supply of coconut trees and they appear to be the tree of choice when doing construction. I realize that the selection of timber is limited in these countries but the coconut wood appears to withstand the enviroment very well and grow up to 60 ft. and are reletive straight.

Steve
06-21-2012, 04:58 PM
In the Philippines they use coconut lumber for building small houses (nipa huts). It works just fine for that purpose except for the insects that eat it. Tropical bugs eat through it fairly quickly. When they use it for lumber they usually add pretty strong preservatives to cut back on the bugs.

rreidnauer
07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Hey Steve, just noticed the new avatar with the PPG. I use to be a PPC flight instructor many years ago. Sure miss them good ol' days.

Steve
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Good eye Rod, I just put that one up yesterday.

Yeah I've been flying PPG in the Philippines for a couple of years now. The beach breeze is perfect and steady, it would be a crime not to go flying there. Drop in any time and we'll go for a ride!

hammerhead 67
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Palm trees are basically a bunch of vertical fibers squished together. When they rot or get insects eating them they can Keel over and look like a deflated balloon.

I would stay away from using any type of palm for building, at least any variety I know of.

loghousenut
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I agree... But Palm trees do make great coconuts.

panderson03
07-25-2012, 04:43 AM
and as a 'nut' you're pretty much the village expert :)

loghousenut
07-25-2012, 08:28 AM
I think I should step in here with a word or two in my own defense before Bro Bo has a chance to confirm whatever you were... UhOh, I forgot what I was gonna write.

Coconuts are kinda cool.

BoFuller
07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
and as a 'nut' you're pretty much the village expert :)

Village expert, island expert, continent expert, ....

mario kadu
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
It's a lot more Fun to put de lime in de coconut

Bruder bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime,
His sister had anudder one she paid it for de lime.

She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up

loghousenut
07-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Well I may not be "pert" anymore but I by definition positively "ex".

Who started this thread anyway? Lets get back on track and talking about Coconuts and all the cool tropical drinks that can be made from them. For what it's worth I'd say that coconut palms would be the perfect tree if only the logs could be made to build a long-lasting log home. Maybe if we could cross pollinate with a Douglas Fir we could come up with a tree that would make a good log home as well as a year-round supply of coconuts! Then again, who would want a coconut that tastes like turpentine?

rreidnauer
07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Hmm, coconuts dropping from 200+ feet up. . . . I think holding off on the cross-pollination would be a good idea.

loghousenut
07-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Botanists are still working on the gene splicing to get the rascals to all fall only on Tuesdays. Takes a genetic tag with a weekly calendaric variable. Hard hat Tuesday will be a regular thing.

I'm thinking this could be a real boon to the San Juan Islands. That region is naturally kinda depressed on Tuesday due to the rain shadow from the Olympic Mtns.

spiralsands
07-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Lets get back on track and talking about Coconuts and all the cool tropical drinks that can be made from them. For what it's worth I'd say that coconut palms would be the perfect tree if only the logs could be made to build a long-lasting log home.

As a person who used to have palm trees in her backyard, I can say that, besides the yummy fruit, they are only good for 2 things: One is that while alive and standing, they make a cozy home for massive amounts of giant ants and giant cockroaches. Two, while dead on the ground, they make great dog toys. My 3 dogs were able to tear one to shreds in no time at all.