PDA

View Full Version : Chinking question

sigmund
06-19-2012, 06:26 PM
We recently purchased a log home so all this is rather new to me. I plan on re-chinking the outside walls and have been doing some reading about chinking in general. Most pieces I've read tell you to install a backer rod between the joints, then chink. Our home has nails between the joints, something that I haven't read about. Can someone tell me why those nails are there and also explain the chinking process when these nails are present? Sorry if this sounds elementary but I'm new at this. Thanks.

rocklock
06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Can you post a picture?
Can you describe the log home?
Where are you at?
Why re-chink? If you.need to repair there is are products for that.
We need more info to really help!

panderson03
06-20-2012, 05:11 AM
agreed. pictures really help us understand what you're asking about :)

sigmund
06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
For some reason, I don't have permission to post images. If that gets corrected, I will post some. Thanks for your replies.

blane
06-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Your chinking is probably mortar which requires metal to hold in place. Mortar will not hold to wood and my guess is thats why you have nails between the logs. Mortar chinking is the most economical chinking method and is what we use here.

Here is a good resource but their mortar mixture is not correct. http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfort_lodge/2007/12/log-home-chinking-video-2/
should be
3 parts sand.
1 part portland cement
and 1/2 part lime

loghousenut
06-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Sigmund,

To us, your nails holding mortar chinking sounds perfectly normal. This is right up our alley but we need the photos. You can post a link to photobucket photos or a facebook page.

sigmund
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Here is a link to some pics. Thanks for the information so far. It has been helpful
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4148623919685&set=a.4148623839683.2177404.1406442906&type=1&theater

sigmund
06-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Came across this in an article I found on the internet regarding chinking:

"You are best advised NOT to use lime or Portland cement in any chinking mix. It is monolithic; as logs shrink and swell with the weather (and they all do) they will pull away from the chinking, leaving space for cold drafts to whistle in, bugs and varmints to enter and for rain to work between chink and log . . . to freeze and chip the former and pool and rot the latter. You will be forever patching. Today you see mortar-chinked log houses patched with new cement-mix, tar, caulks and mastics, chewing gum and pine tar. Most such have been painted long since and look awful."

What's the deal?

rocklock
06-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I saw the picture. It looks like the chinking is ok but with cracks. Google log jam in the tubes. One case costs about 100 bucks. I also use a latex coating to cover the cracks.
The log jam is a latex based stuff that will match the texture of the chinking. I hate the gray color of mortor and old log homes that I have seen have yellow chinking. 771

rocklock
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Hope this helps. I don't know if my signature is coming through. I have a photo bucket site that may help.
Google flintlock1 and photobucket and I have stuff that may help.
Doing all this stuff on my phone is getting interesting.

blane
06-21-2012, 08:56 AM
The synthetic chinking is really expensive especially for a new home with lots of chinking to do. Could cost as much as 10,000 dollars and for some of us here even more with wide chink lines, another reason we use the mortar is to allow the logs to breath so all the moisture in the logs has a place to go "out". The synthetic chinking will actually trap moisture inside your logs in some cases causing rot. The key is big overhangs and gables to keep water off the logs. I think rocklock did a skim coat over his mortar chinking to keep it nice and pretty. And by the looks of your photo I think that would be all you would need to do. It really is not too bad and a simple skim coat would hide the cracks and be a close match.
And where your gable meets the log I would use the synthetic chinking that comes in a tube and put it in with a caulk gun. Leave the nails, they will be hidden in the caulk.

rocklock
06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
About your article, I hope you understand that cracks in chinking and shrinking logs are natural. If you look at my chinking you will find cracks where the logs have shrunk. But I fill them with log jam a latex product. So after I finish my logs do not have cracks, holes or anything to leak. No leaks no bugs no problems.
But you will find that log homes are a lot of work. Good luck.