Thread: Solar Power for dummies...off grid hook up.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    Misuse has been so rampant that it has become accepted practice.
    Now that it is acceptable to interchange power and energy, I will commit a comment about Tin Hat and his video. I think he did a fairly professional outline for an amateur. It didn't appear that his target audience would be MIT students, but rather a bunch of normal burger flippers and truck drivers who wanted to know if they were too stupid to figure out solar power (energy).

Over the years I have pieced together two solar energy (power) setups and several microhydroelectric systems, and it all seemed to happen with nothing more than hippie/farmer/trucker engineering skills on my part. This technology has made that possible. A person could still get in over her/his head and make a mess of things, but I think it is totally reasonable to think that a normal ole non-metric bumpkin can go off-grid without candles and kerosene. It IS rocket science but seems to be a technology that can be exploited, just like it is possible for a shade tree mechanic to muddle though OBD II and keep the old Dodge on the road.

I watched the whole Tin Hat video and caught a few parts that I would have worded differently, but that happens all the time with me. I just wish I could learn to word differently some of the carp that comes out of my mouth. I think I need an editor.

Didn't really like the hippie video... Too close to home.

PS... Not meaning to offend the engineers here. I admire that thought process which you possess and I never will. Just pointing out that some of us seem to be able to make a life of it all even if we can't figure out what you folks is talking about.

I also admire folks who speak Canadian, even though I can't understand them.

(PLEASE DO NOT READ THAT LAST LINE)
    Last edited by loghousenut; 05-20-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.