Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BUILDING WITH STONE

LHBA Member
    ill get a close up pic..we just slabbed it. n did a reverse natural edge BnBatten. ( nailed on an angle..VERY important ) gladd ya like it mossey : ))

Wow!! That's a really pretty home. What is the size? I'd love to see more photos. Do you have any up on photobucket or on a blog?

Stone looks very cool, but I lived in a 200 year-old stone house and the insulation factor is terrible! It was ruinously expensive to heat. It always feels cool and damp. Wood is so much better for insulation, why would you want to build with stone?

LHBA Member
    Not all stone houses are cold and damp. We lived in a ancient (13th century) stone house in France, built on stone arches (the cheap way to build back then in an area with no big trees for beams). The mass of stone from the interior arches keeps the temperature very constant. We heated it with a wood stove and once it had heated all that stone, it stayed warm and toasty in there with very little effort. The way the walls were built, with stone on both sides and rubble in the middle made for very good insulation. Of course it didn't hurt that some of the walls were nearly a meter thick!

But to build a stone house like that from scratch would take many many many times longer than building a log house and we'd like to live to see this house finished!

LHBA Member
    I lived in a stone "spring" house for 4 years near Philadelphia. The exterior was built entirely of stone (except the roof) sometime in the 1800's. Interior was done with paneling. First floor was a slab. Walls were 1 to 2 feet thick. It was a bit humid in the summer, so I had to run a dehumidifier. In the winter I heated with a wood stove which kept the house dry and warm. Now, it was built in an active spring area which may have contributed to the humidity levels. My well was an artisian well that was only 6ft deep and came into the house. It only flooded a couple times when we had record rain.

Something I noticed with the stone was the transfer of heat. During spring/summer sunny days the outside would absorb heat and keep the inside hot into the evening when trying to sleep. It may cost more to cool. In the winter it would take a while to get below 50F if the wood heat was off. Kept the oil heat bill down when I wasn't there.

Personally I would not want to live in one again. The humidity kept me stuffy. If it would work, I would consider it for a crawlspace wall. Maybe a basement if you could seal it somehow. My parents block basement built in 1987 has no water or humidity issue what-so-ever.
    Mike
    Tennessee

Found this treasure trove of masonry info. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEs2jo6LjN4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrapper View Post
    Found this treasure trove of masonry info. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEs2jo6LjN4
    That ole boy rubs that mud just like Gramaw Frankie used to work bacon grease into a biscuit. Good video.

Sorry we don't have any movies of Gramaw Frankie eating. She said moving pictures were a shortcut to the domain of the Devil himself.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.