Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: *Deflated*

Hey, we must keep Cali beautiful...at any cost....until it slowly sinks into the ocean. Then we'll have to have a chat with the EPA.
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

LHBA Member
    Logsurfer....I was in California for 42 years. When you live in California, you think that's the only place to live. You tolerate all the foolishness and governmeent control, high taxes, high crime rate, traffic, long lines everywhere you go, and did i say traffic? you find yourself planning your life around TRAFFIC! Is that insane or what?? Then you go outside California and realize there are other great places to live (better places to live)......I know, I know, you have saltwater on the brain, so it will be hard for you to move away from the ocean.......but do you really want to continue to live in all that nonsense?? Yes, there are GREAT places in California, but the government is strangling everyone, it's become so expensive to live there. Just the property taxes alone in California are insane, THEN, add the sales tax! I wish you the best and I know its hard to leave because of employment, family, etc, etc, etc,. For us, it was the best move and I don't miss CA, and my kids don't either! If you can't build now, then maybe you could plan long term for somewhere out of CA someday, maybe retirement???. Well, that's my two cents (again). Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Logsurfer....I was in California for 42 years. When you live in California, you think that's the only place to live. You tolerate all the foolishness and governmeent control, high taxes, high crime rate, traffic, long lines everywhere you go, and did i say traffic? you find yourself planning your life around TRAFFIC! Is that insane or what?? Then you go outside California and realize there are other great places to live (better places to live)......I know, I know, you have saltwater on the brain, so it will be hard for you to move away from the ocean.......but do you really want to continue to live in all that nonsense?? Yes, there are GREAT places in California, but the government is strangling everyone, it's become so expensive to live there. Just the property taxes alone in California are insane, THEN, add the sales tax! I wish you the best and I know its hard to leave because of employment, family, etc, etc, etc,. For us, it was the best move and I don't miss CA, and my kids don't either! If you can't build now, then maybe you could plan long term for somewhere out of CA someday, maybe retirement???. Well, that's my two cents (again). Best of luck to you!
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement RPM...CA is clearly becoming a great place to have been from! I just got back from my sisters place in Lincoln City OR and a good friends place in Takilma (Cave Junction) I WAS downright sweet! No state taxes AND they pump your gas, gotta love that! Missing the Ocean would indeed be rough...but I hear you Loud and Clear! I just wish I could 'finish' one then get the heck out of dodge and make my way up North a few clicks...but yes, employment-family...those prospects are frightening to say the least. We plan on hitting up the class in Sept.-Oct. Perhaps you are right, it may just come down to building in 'retirement'...but I have fears that I will slowly lose such gusto for this dream of ours...*shaking head* it's disheartening. Have you built in Roseburg already? Again, thanks for the pep talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Hey, we must keep Cali beautiful...at any cost....until it slowly sinks into the ocean. Then we'll have to have a chat with the EPA.
    HA! Indeed we would!

Quote Originally Posted by FishingAddict View Post
    Hey Minneota! You sound like you are in my county there where I hope to build someday -- near International Falls is my site. The fees are not to bad - but they are on everything. Cheaper to build on Wisconsin side or even better the UP area in MI. Cheap land too. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much of that white stuff if you know what I mean for my tastes.

So I gather you started - member for 2 years if I understand this deal?
    I have 8 hour drive to get to the site I want to build on - seems many think this is not such a good idea when I read things here. Might take me 99 years if it a day a week of serious work. .... not good.
    You got your own logs (my site doesn't) on property? That'd be perfect world. Mines not - but got water all around me. Thats the good part
    Hey there fishing ADDICT. we're building a couple hours south of International Falls. you guys are lucky; its SO BEAUTIFUL up there!!!!

yup, we found this site in April 2009 and took the class in May 2009, been planning and scheming ever since!! funny, we found this site while looking for info on kit homes. BOY were we lucky to have stumbled on to LHBA!!

yeah an 8 hour drive will make things a little more complicated but we have folks currently building with a similar drive. its not impossible, just a little more tricky

nope, we don't have enough of the right trees on our property to use our own so we ended up paying for them. paid $80 for red pine 40foot logs with 8-12" small ends. the nice part about NOT using your own trees is you still have a beautifully wooded lot when you're done

water all around sounds like heaven we have only 120ft of water front. sounds like you all have a beautiful place.
    well come to our forums!

Blog Entries
    Deflated???

Take the class. Unless San Jose and a mortgage are the answer, it's time to make the change. There's nothing wrong with the suburb life unless you want something else for your family. Think you're too old? How old are you gonna be when you're 50 if you don't take the class this year? I'll trade my age and possessions for your age and possessions whenever you're ready. Please let me keep my Wife and Son.

There are as many ways to make the lifestyle change as there are people to make it. Take the class and get the basics. My family is building legally, with the full blessing of the County, and we have found a way to pay every cent the County requires. We aren't rich but when this house is done it'll be ours with no banknote unless we want one. There are folks all over the States (heck, all over the WORLD) who are doing the exact same thing right now.

If the price of permits has you down, please be assured that in most of the nation, building permits cost less than a fairly reliable used car. In the big scheme it's not a big deal unless you are hooked on the Marin County thing. The fact that you are reading and writing on this forum indicates that you like what you see and want your piece of the dream. What you see here can't be found down at the local "sign on the dotted line and we'll deliver your log house" store.

This method of building will not change your life... That's your job. The job of LHBA is to teach a system of building that is strong, long lasting, doable, and really cool. You'll learn a dozen shortcuts that will save you many times your schooling costs. You'll gain access to the members side of this forum where you will learn more and share what you've learned with the next generation. Most of us use what we learned in class to escape (or stay escaped) from the rat race and live the lifestyle that we want to. If you want instant, buy a condo and pay as you go... for 30 years. My family is paying as we go without the 30 year contract and when we are done it'll ALL be ours.

Take the class and then figure out where your family will build. It can happen most anyplace except downtown San Jose. There are LHBA homes in California, Montana, Arkansas, Arizona.... Heck there's even a few around Houston and I wouldn't live there even if my colon was being held hostage by mosquitoes (hahahaa).

After you've taken the class you can stop in and see how it's done just across the Oregon border.

That's not tatoos on his leg, it's his fiberglass leg.... Now THAT's a LOGGER!

First off LHN....I deeply appreciate your thoughtful motivating inspiring words...Lady Surfer and I have been following your posts for some time now. We passed through Grants Pass a couple weeks back wishing we could swing by...WE certainly will after we take the class this Sept-Oct...they tell us there's going to be one *fingers crossed* I do want to apologize to all you folks...I certainly don't mean to Whine and be the oh whoa is my type. It's just that this all seems so daunting having to deal with a Loan of such magnitude and all. I love OR and I would love to move there, as of now I just don't see how. We would like to head up to the mountains around here or farther away in the hills and such. Can't wait to become a 'Member' and have some talk and Face time with all you crazy cool folks. We both want this pretty darn bad..Lord willing, we can/will somehow find a way...I will admit however that I am Scared to Death of taking on such challenge...but I realize this will be the biggest most rewarding thing I could do for my Family!
    I thought that was a 'fake' leg-just didn't want to state that till I was sure He sure picked a fine one indeed~ Bless you for the encouragement my man,we can't wait till were on the 'other side'-chasing said dream

Quote Originally Posted by logsurfer View Post
    First off LHN....I deeply appreciate your thoughtful motivating inspiring words...Lady Surfer and I have been following your posts for some time now. We passed through Grants Pass a couple weeks back wishing we could swing by...WE certainly will after we take the class this Sept-Oct...they tell us there's going to be one *fingers crossed* I do want to apologize to all you folks...I certainly don't mean to Whine and be the oh whoa is my type. It's just that this all seems so daunting having to deal with a Loan of such magnitude and all. I love OR and I would love to move there, as of now I just don't see how. We would like to head up to the mountains around here or farther away in the hills and such. Can't wait to become a 'Member' and have some talk and Face time with all you crazy cool folks. We both want this pretty darn bad..Lord willing, we can/will somehow find a way...I will admit however that I am Scared to Death of taking on such challenge...but I realize this will be the biggest most rewarding thing I could do for my Family!
    I thought that was a 'fake' leg-just didn't want to state that till I was sure He sure picked a fine one indeed~ Bless you for the encouragement my man,we can't wait till were on the 'other side'-chasing said dream
    PS Your amazing house makes me weep and salivate....drool

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

a few thoughts about what we are about...

I want to preface these remarks with the fact that I was raised in Fresno. I left in 1970 (graduated from FSC 1970) because I could read the wall. It was clear - at least to me. Nough said...

Its true that we talk about logs and building, but the real crux or focus or central idea is becoming financially solvent by eliminating a mortgage. You do this by turning your biggest debt into a family project that becomes doable and the most creative project conceivable. All of this stuff feeds into becoming sustainable, working hard, becoming prepared for any bad stuff that may (some believe will) happen.

I have worked my entire life. I wished I had discovered this idea long before seven years ago (age 60). I was looking for something to do after I retired. I looked for someplace to retire. I toured almost every western state from Washington to New Mexico. I finally found the place that most things came together. I then found the classes and my son and I took the class. I then found the land... 90 feet from some land my wife's family owned. There were big problems.... But with time and diligence we have overcame each of the problems so far. We still have problems but there seem to be solutions.

Now for a bunch of Clichés... You get out what you put in.

So, deflated or not, figure out what your next step is. You are at least two steps ahead of me when I was 60.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Hi Scoutman
    My wife and I have taken the class last Jan . We are both 55 years young. We are planning our first log cabin in Texas at Lake Livingston . Half acre overlooking the Lake. I must say , if your going to build a cabin , then start with the class. My very first hour of the class changed my whole veiw of how and what to build. There is so much insight that you will need . As far as Cal. , ?????????????

Dan