Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time before "live in ready"?

LHBA Member
    Sanders, KY (across the river from Indiana)
    Blog Entries
    Love the question dustinfife! I have debated this question with my husband for some time now. We have not officially started, but have started a million little things towards the build. How to go about it seems to be very tricky sometimes. There is always a unique situation out there. And BTW, I am okay with the fact that LHN is taking so long. . . Allows the rest of us to glean a tad bit more information from you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    Also, bear in mind that your permit has a time limit on it (usually 12 months). If you go past that, there are usually only a finite amount of extensions (one, for six months) they will give you. If you are still not complete, you generally have to repermit. Which can be anywhere from a bottle of cheap scotch for your local inspector to $8000.

Granted, this is all locality specific, but check the rules of the game before you get going. Given it's New Jersey, I would wager to say the permit has a short time duration, minimal extensions, and probably costs more than my first new car.
    Seems I need to find another state

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    As short a time as 3 months, or as long as loghousenut takes, he's not done yet and is challenging the record holder for slowest build ever. Though I'm not sure if he's disqualified for working backwards or not.
    That's who partially inspired my question. The thought hadn't occurred to me (until I saw some of his posts) that I might be able to live in an unfinished home.

Quote Originally Posted by More corners View Post
    Love the question dustinfife! I have debated this question with my husband for some time now. We have not officially started, but have started a million little things towards the build. How to go about it seems to be very tricky sometimes. There is always a unique situation out there. And BTW, I am okay with the fact that LHN is taking so long. . . Allows the rest of us to glean a tad bit more information from you all!
    What does LHN mean?

LHN-Loghousenut on this forum.

He's been building these log homes forever...but mostly just one.
    Trevor

you be nice to Mr Nut. when ever I get discouraged at how long its taking us ( we don't build during the 6 months of winter and we live 180 miles away from our build so can only work on it on days we're not at our paying jobs...) I just think of Mr Nut and realize length of time doesn't matter. what's important is that we're having fun, making progress, safe, and are debt free.... that is, as long as we're done by the time we retire.... when that gets close I"ll be sweating the 'time' thing way more!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by panderson03 View Post
    length of time doesn't matter. what's important is that we're having fun, making progress, safe, and are debt free.... that is, as long as we're done by the time we retire.... when that gets close I"ll be sweating the 'time' thing way more!
    You said a mouthful right there.

Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.