Page 270 of 304 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Hello, I really don't know what Im doing. I stumbled on this site because i was looking for answers. My 83 year old mom owns a house on a 7 acre property in the woods of New Jersey. This house became dilapidated when my father got sick and passed away in 2009. My mother lives with us since the house is unrepairable. My father was a pastor and he spent his life in the ministry, serving and helping others. During his time, churches from the city would come, stay in the house, and camp out in his land as a retreat. It was an enjoyable and prosperous time in the ministry. Before my dad passed away, he instructed us to never sell the land. Since then, we have hired and spent several thousands to have the house repaired, but had no luck in contractors who destroyed the house even more. Now, the house is unrepairable and has to come down. We're stuck with taxes and have no more money to spend. We were heart broken to make a decision to go against our dad's wishes to sell the property. We had no choice.We had a buyer last April but the sale fell through because he couldn't get a lone from the bank. Wow. This to us was a sign that we shouldn't sell the property.Now, we are faced with this burden, what are we going to do? It's clear to us that the house has to come down. If i were to dream, i would love to have a log cabin in place of the house, and use the house and the property as a camping ground for churches to go to and have their retreat. One big factor, we have very little money. My Mom used up all her retirement money to try to fix the old house. I work full-time and a mother of two who are in college. But is building a log cabin a possible dream? I am 5'2" and weigh 130 lbs (well maybe more);-) Will i be able to do this? Or who can i ask to help me do this? Anyone here in the East Coast know how to build a Butt and Pass Log Cabin?I would like to attend the class in Feb 2017, but it's on the other side of the country. Im in New Jersey. Can anyone please bring me back to my senses and break my bubble. Im posting this to get answers. Thanks for any inspiring feedback.

Rarely would I suggest what I am about to suggest, but I believe it would be for the best.

You already say that you are behind on taxes. To pour any more money into a property you are on the verge of having taken away from you is a bad choice. You already lost so much to bad contractors with nothing to show for it. Why would you consider repeating the past?

I believe selling it is your wisest choice. You can aquire more land with WAY lower taxes in places other than NJ, then keep your father's legacy alive, of a property to span the generations. As it stands now, it sounds like you will lose the land to the gov't, and your father's wishes with it.

Tough decision, I know. But if keeping land in the family was what he was hoping for, I see no better path to achieve it.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I posted last week can not locate my post. Been a lurker but now....Ive got a handle. Thanks for the words of advice, recommendations etc.

welcome pip!

Hi!!!

My name is Ben. I just took the class this September and bought the floor plans last week. I am preparing to build in the Spring. I might even try and get the piers in the ground before it freezes in late November. I am from Southeast Montana on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation. I hope to be in touch as my project gets rolling!

Beers,

Benjamin

Blog Entries
    Good having you around, Ben. Get over to the other side of the forum and we'll all have a party for you.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Sacramento, CA, building near Mt. Lassen, Old Station, Shasta County
    Evening - I'm Sally. I bought a nice flat acre near Mt. Lassen in Northern California. My husband and I are signed up for class in February and can't wait. We've been reading all the notes and viewing the LHBA site for several months getting ideas, looking at pictures, reading what others have done, and are super eager.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clarksal View Post
    Evening - I'm Sally. I bought a nice flat acre near Mt. Lassen in Northern California. My husband and I are signed up for class in February and can't wait. We've been reading all the notes and viewing the LHBA site for several months getting ideas, looking at pictures, reading what others have done, and are super eager.
    Welcome Sally! Which February class?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LHBA Member
    Sacramento, CA, building near Mt. Lassen, Old Station, Shasta County
    [QUOTE=Nick;132584]Welcome Sally! Which February class?

Hey Nick - We are signed up for the President's day weekend class, February 18th/19th 2017

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=clarksal;132585]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Welcome Sally! Which February class?

Hey Nick - We are signed up for the President's day weekend class, February 18th/19th 2017
    Fantastic! Look forward to seeing you there. You'll love the class.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk