Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gambrel roof

gambrel roof

would a stick frame gambrel roof be a problem with the bnp style building

Nope. Just not the easiest. granted, it does make better use of the space under the roof.

I don't know how to accomodate the secondary supports though. Truth be told, I don't really even know how to build one. There is one roof framer member, and he went with a steep pitch and gables rather than a Gambrel, so that may tell you something of the relative merits

My dad built his log house in the early 70's with a gambrel roof. He went with a steeper pitch and larger rafters than shown in Peter's drawing, so the extra braces weren't needed(that picture looks like a truss system). The house is a saddle notch, not BnP but it wouldn't matter either way.

One thing to point out here- the roof is often the most expensive single part of the build, the more roof area you have, the more insulation and shingles or metal you will need. Gambrels compound that. It's often cheaper to go higher with the logs.

I think there are some pictures of gambrel roofs on some of the older student builts houses. I am not sure how to link directly to the pictures, but they should be in one of these sections....

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/image...t-our-students
    http://www.loghomebuilders.org/image...andom-pictures

The reason I ask is that every student built home I've seen has a ridge pole and support poles. I would like to build the log walls with a stick built roof. I wasn't sure if the walls would support the load. I haven't taken the class yet so please forgive the ignorance.

One of our members did the typical b&p build for his walls and did a truss system for his roof. It worked out fine and looks nice and was probably much easier to do than having to put in a ridge pole with three ridge pole supports.

Thank you that's exactly what I needed to hear

You are welcome. Our log walls will support anything you want to put on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ganschicken View Post
    Thank you that's exactly what I needed to hear

Blog Entries
    Ganschicken,

I'll bet you a quarter that you end up switching gears toward a ridgepole roof after you go to class. It can easily be done the other way but the LHBA system works great, any fool can do it, and it looks cool. Cool is half the reason to do it.

There is something to be said about having a ridgepole support log right in the center of the home. It gives the place a balanced feeling and it is a natural spot to bolt up to the girder log that supports your second (or third) floor.

It's all about God, Country, Family and The Ridgepole.

Last edited by loghousenut; 01-19-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I agree 100% but my biggest fear is not being able to find logs big enough to do the ridge pole. And my wife is dead set on the gambrel roof. If both could be tied together that would be great.

I am with LHN on this one. Even though you can put just about any kind of roof you want on a b&p you loose the log home appeal in my opinion. This style of roof adds so much to the esthetics you come expect in a log home. The exposed rafters and t&g are probably the things that that will cause people to say WOW! when they walk through the door.