Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could u pass the koolaid please?

LHBA Member

could u pass the koolaid please?

lets start with thank you. thanks for every one on this site for the knowledge ive gotten for FREE. ive been reading this site sence around the begining of the year and has been very i opening.

i ve always connected with log cabins. i know it not a cabin but i think my first "connection" with them was reading a book in 5th grade called "My Side Of The Mountain" where a young boy runs away from the city to the catskill mts. and lives i n the hollow of a massive hemlock. to seeing part of an old home made video on pbs with an "old guy" carrying logs and making a gravel floor and hiking in the beautiful mountains just doing his thing. years after those images were burned in i learn his name and got his video from the library. i can can still here him sawing and hitting his mallets on chisels. and who can forget the GREAT movie jeremiah johnson, mountains to the rear good water light wind this is a good place to live. ( something like that)

i am going some place so hold on.

before finding this sight i was was doing the research, reading the books and was about to start to look seriously into local log home builders for a job, at the bottom, to learn it all, so i can do it all myself and not pay two three times what everything is actually worth.that probably would of been acouple years just drawknifing on logs IF i got to start that high in the ranks. glad i found this sight!

after reading about half of this public fourms threads and around ten blog sites of home built havens ,i feel i could build a but and pass home. yes i said it. although it would have many features of a lhba home i believe it would would not cost as little, be as efficient or last as long or feel the same as a "took the class and read the members side" cabin. that is why im going to vegas this weekend. its so i can be the "old man" who ran away and found the perfect spot in the woods and built a cabin.

this aint no lhn inspirational post, but i think i cook some good rabbit for a pilgrim.

LHBA Member
    Welcome to the site and congrats on soon to be taking the class. Its something you will not regret. You will find answers to any of the questions you might have after class here and there isnt a better bunch of people to be found anywhere. Good luck to you and as they say, see you on he other side soon
    Mark Welch
    Class of Feb 2011
    30x30 Stock plan. Harvesting own logs
    http://buttandpasscabin.blogspot.com

LHBA Member
    thanks on the congrats. your right on, these are a good bunch of people. see ya on the flip side.

Don't miss out seeing Dick Pronneke's other videos, Alone in the Wilderness II, Silence & Solitude, and The Frozen North.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    i gotta get to those! arnt there books too?

Yes there are! One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey (which coincidentally, I read on the flight to and from the class I attended in '05) and also the lesser known, and much larger More Readings from One Man's Wilderness.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    thats not a bad idea i think i got a 4 hour layover in my future

Blog Entries
    Well lhn is inspired. Your story sounds just like mine. I'll share a rabbit by your fire anytime.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    and your welcome

So, A.Dacks....you're first name wouldn't be Adiron, would it? Because I'm a member who aims to build in Fulton County in the southwest foothills.