Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to determione the Size of loft?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Regular+ User

how to determione the Size of loft?

So I was sitting here and thinking and I started to wonder. Lets say you have a main floor Sq ft of 1600...is the loft also going to be 1600 or can you make it different sizes?

I'm doing a 3/4 loft, so for 1600 ft that would be 1200.
    You can also do a half loft for 800 or you can do a complete 2nd floor for an additional 1600.
    You can do anything you want, but those are the easiest.

Regular+ User
    That makes sense, Thank you Bo.

LHBA Member
    Hi, Shannonbeth--

Our third-floor loft space is basically two-thirds the floor size of our main floor, because we have three floor girders from north-to-south, and the loft spans two. As Bo says, you can design the loft in lots of different configurations, depending on what you're looking for, how much square footage you need, where your stairs will go, etc.

Remember when calculating your actual/official square footage, however, that usable square footage in a loft isn't the same as on another floor, unless you have a partial log wall to raise the slope of the roof. My understanding is that, although you CAN often find uses for the shorter parts of sloped-roof area, the actual "useable" square footage is only counted from where the ceiling is a certain height (which may vary in different jurisdictions) from the floor on that level of your home.

Sara
    Work safely out there, everybody!

Regular+ User
    I am tryin to figure out how much sq ft I would need for 3 bedrooms and a full bathroom if possible up in the loft.

Non-master bedrooms? I'd say 100~120 sq-ft each. Full bath, you can squeeze one into 50 sq-ft, and add another 8 if you want a towel closet. Then figure for whatever you need for hallways.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Plattsburgh, NY - Will be moving to our build site in March 2013
    Where I live the code requires a minimum size for any partioned room to be at least 70 sq ft and no smaller than 7' for any horizontal measurement within each room, i.e. I couldn't partion a room to be 5' x 14' even though that meets the 70 sq ft requirement, because one of the horizontal measurement is not at least 7'. Like someone said all jurisdictions are different. I like Rod's idea. Our current master bedroom is 12 x 11, not big for a master bedroom, but I would rather have the space for a great room or open shared living space where the family spends most of its time togther when inside. I love an open floor plan! Our current non-LBHA log home is 1254 and the builder managed to sqeeze in 3 bedroom and 2 fullbaths (1 bath containing a closet for the washer and dryer). We are on a slab and have a vaulted ceiling, so the house is super effecient. With some creativity and some know how I sure you will come up with a good design for your loft!!

Regular+ User
    Shannonbeth - where oh where are you???????

she tends to bop in and out approx every 9 mos or so. don't worry. I bet she'll be back Hey LogLover, you signing up for the November class? we just finished chinking the garage and hope to be completely finished with that by the end of this building season so we can focus all of our attention on the cabin. we're sure going to need help next year (and the year after !!)

Regular+ User
    Hey there!
    Nope - LV and myself shall never ever meet again. Some call it Sin City of course. I call it Scum.
    Maybe the location shall change someday and I will be there in a flash, #1 at the door even.

It needs to happen sooner rather than later though - I have the land, cleared an area I will place my home on and hope to have power in yet this fall maybe?
    Working on a smaller yet permanent cabin that can be used for other uses in future. Or added to and maybe become the final solution at that. The dream remains a BnP log home if someday I can make the class. If not I guess that it was not meant to be ........

So you been one busy bee it sounds like. Are you now living there FT or commuting while building? No rain this year so that was positive for building. So miserably hot it was hard to stay motivitated, at least for me. I suspect we are not living that far apart up there? Be happy to drop in and toss up some mud next year. By then I will be on board via a class or have passed on it to get to my goal of year round up north accomplished. One way or the other the dream shall be moving ahead at warp speed.

Thanks for heads up on Shannon. I check in when I can here hoping to see a new class setup and to peek at what everyone is up to.
    Happy Trails to all!