Thread: Building regulations and planning permission requirements for log cabin

Building regulations and planning permission requirements for log cabin

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, and thank you in advance for any help or advice you may be able to provide.

I am thinking of building (or more likely having built) a single storey log cabin at my parents'house. Long term, it will be used for storage, however I am thinking of using it to live in in the short term (until I have enough saved for a mortgage).

I have researched various options, the most likely being a 5m x 9m cabin divided into a bedroom, small bathroom with a shower cubicle and an open plan living space and kitchen area.

I understand that if a building is under 2.5m tall and away from a boundary fence, planning permission is not necessary. What I'm not clear on is whether any other rules need to be adhered to as I will be using the building as a residential dwelling for a short period of time.

As the building willbe located in my parents back garden, would my parents council tax cover my "house" or would it need to be registered as a separate address?

There are many questions that keep coming up while doing my e research, so wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

I guess a first good question is, where would you be building this? (doesn't sound like in the USA)
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    I guess a first good question is, where would you be building this? (doesn't sound like in the USA)
    No, not in USA, I'm from the UK.

I am not versed in UK building codes. Probably a good first step is to simply go talk to whoever the governing body is for such a project. You don't need to tell them who you are, or what and where you intend to build if you hear something you don't like. Just try to find out what the boundaries are which effect taxes, inspections, etc.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box