Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air compressors?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LHBA Member

Air compressors?

I know that tool selection and purchase is part of the class material, and the advice is to hold off buying stuff until after you take the class. But I need to buy an air compressor to finish some unrelated projects. I don't want to buy a compressor today that isn't suitable for my future log home building ambitions. I'm signed up for the May class, but I need a compressor before then.

So, any advice on air compressors? Will I need/want a compressor once I'm building my loghome, and if so, what kind?

LHBA Member
    Once you use air nailer you'll throw your hammer away even the palm nailer works where nothing else will if you have a good sized Generator you can just buy a small electric or any small gas engine one will work they don't need much air

Depends a bit on your location/build specific situation. If you have power, i'd get the biggest portable i could afford. Check the motor specs, there are cheap junk ones, and there are good quality units. Many big ones require 220V power. I purchased a continous/extreme duty 60gal and have never regreted it (except when moving it). Alternately a good gas powered unit will get the job done.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Blog Entries
    It really does depend on the situation of your build. I am building where we have lived for 19 years, so I have the luxury of being able to leave tools laying around wherever I want to.

I have a great big ole 80 gallon compressor that is hardwired to 220V at my pumphouse. I ran about 80 feet of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC to get the air line to a point where all I have to do is run another 100'-150' of flexible air hose to have air at the build site. There has to be a lot of loss due to the distance and resistance in the lines but it seems to work just fine. Air tools are cool!

Just thought you oughta know it can work if it has to.

I have not taken the class but I do work in a hardware store and know a little about air compressors. It all depends on what your going to do with it. There are three important rating on an air compressor. The most obvious is capacity. The more air a tank can store, the less work the motor has to do which increases life of the compressor and lets you work continuously instead of waiting for the compressor to catch up. The second rating is the psi or the pressure at which the air is stored in the tank and certain tools require specific pressures to operate. The final and most important rating is the CFPM output (Cubic Feet per Minute) which is the volume of air that the compressor can produce at the specified pressure per minute. Most tools have specifications for the minimum CFPM so look for these requirements when buying a tool. Smaller 3-gallon compressors can run a brad or finish nailer regularly and slightly larger models are required for roofing and framing nailers. The large 60-80 gallon compressors are typically used for automotive applications for running multiple tools and/or constantly running tools like impact wrenches and die grinders rather than intermittent use nailers.

From what I have absorbed from this site and outside research the exact compressor depends on your situation. Assuming that you are using it for a nailer then you DEFINITELY don't need an 80 gallon compressor. Look in the 6-9 gallon range at one compatible with the nailer you're looking for. Electric versus gasoline is largely up to you and whether electricity is available at your site. LHN is also completely right, if you run a long air hose, you SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the efficiency of a compressor. Rigid makes a 9-gallon potable gas compressor that has a tire on the front and can be moved around like a wheelbarrow that I've heard really good things about. However, I've never used it, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Just my two cents!

Blog Entries
    Add up a bunch of those 2 cent's and it turns into enough to make this site work. I love you guys/gals.

I'd like to disagree about a small tank for just a nailer, I run a framing nailer at various times of my build, and often I am cranking a full magazine of nails out in under a minute, with the smaller pancake style compressor you are either waiting for the compressor to recharge, or you empty the magazine and take a hammer and go finish hammering in the nails the compressor didnt have the air to drive all the way in. I put on an entire roof in Colorado with a small compressor, and seemed like I spent half the day waiting for the compressor to recharge. I have a small compressor for small/ odd jobs. but for building a full size home you will want one with the biggest capacity and most flow available.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    I'd like to disagree about a small tank for just a nailer, I run a framing nailer at various times of my build, and often I am cranking a full magazine of nails out in under a minute, with the smaller pancake style compressor you are either waiting for the compressor to recharge, or you empty the magazine and take a hammer and go finish hammering in the nails the compressor didnt have the air to drive all the way in. I put on an entire roof in Colorado with a small compressor, and seemed like I spent half the day waiting for the compressor to recharge. I have a small compressor for small/ odd jobs. but for building a full size home you will want one with the biggest capacity and most flow available.
    Maybe it varies somewhat with the brand of 'cake. My BIL is a GC and I know some of his roofing crews run 2 PC pancakes, single gun (Hitachi) on a tank tho, not a chance for it to keep up to a pair of them. Two pancakes, 2 guns and they finished up my place in about 11 hours last week with 2 nailing, 2 set-ups and a couple tenders hauling up. 35 sq of Elk Prestiques up there so I know it can be done. No doubt bigger is better but in a pinch it works for some. For a single person, non pro type, I imagine it may work out just fine. I have a 62 g and a red PC in shop. Only thing I don't like about the little PC is the NOISE of them

Blog Entries
    Actually, LHN has referenced our three choices quite a few times. Remember, we only get to choose 2 of the 3?
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    Actually, LHN has referenced our three choices quite a few times. Remember, we only get to choose 2 of the 3?
    can I play?
    I wager a (insert) its the "cheap" and the "or what"
    Why you wonder ??? Easy - most of the build here take years and years. That takes away the fast.
    What did I win?