Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Little House, Big House

Blog Entries
    Just try to remember that you should leave the nail embedded in your thigh until trained professionals have you properly sedated.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Just try to remember that you should leave the nail embedded in your thigh until trained professionals have you properly sedated.
    I get the impression that if one of those nails hits your thigh, it ain't gonna stop!

Blog Entries
    Don't worry, it'll stop. And you'll know it's exact location.

Blog Entries
    yep. Usually AFTER it goes thru flesh headed to a bone... its stops either AT the bone or upon entry.

I'm reminded of a 2 inch brad nailer I was using to make a picture frame with.
    While holding 2 boards together at the mitred corners, it slipped when I pulled the trigger.
    nails from a nailer travel FASTER than the pain upon entry, contact and stoppage.
    but the boys thought it was kewl that I could pull it out and put it back in the hole!!!

than the pain was horrible.... and the glue caused awful infection.

LHN --'professional removal" -- is for pansies.....so yes. Be careful.

JD

Ugh... Memories of the day the chainsaw slipped.

Blog Entries
    Frances,

You are far more than "just" a nailing diva.

Years ago, (I won't share how) I acquired a small .177 jacketed pellet just an inch or 2 above my left knee cap. It didn't bleed but for a moment at the time. Didn't become painful so I ignored it because of embarrassment. Didn't want to admit what happened to my doctor. Now fast forward. In September I'm having both knees replaced. I have been through x-rays and MRIs. Tuesday, getting a CT or MRI so they can build current models of my knees. So each time I go in for each set of pictures, I am expected to explain because of what they see. Now since I'm already gonna have a couple of hands inside my knees, I'm hoping my doc will be able to find it easily and simply remove it for me. Then I won't ever admit to the story again.

It's when you forget that the nailer is a real gun that it can bite you. Please be careful.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Blog Entries
    Like I said... Leave it in until trained professionals have you properly sedated.

Hello Francis Diva!

Whoo hoo! One more dragon slain, another notch on your belt. Hey, now that you're a pro, you can be like Jim B. When you're working on your roof, you can stand at the highest point and see if you can hit the outhouse with the nailer. Hee hee, fun times.

Seriously Francis, you're an inspiration to me. I look forward to following your progress, baby step or giant leap at a time. I'm sure there will be many of each. Me, I'm more into nano steps, myself. BUT...I had some giant leaps (for my project anyway) in the past week, thanks to Peter. I took a WHOLE week off work (all the planets happened to be in alignment) and Peter came with me for a little over half of it. I have been slowly acquiring little bits and pieces, things like small water tanks (a 275 gallon tote) and some not-quite-dead golf cart batteries for $25 each. We hauled those over to my property in my not-so-trusty beater pickup truck (now THAT is one way I face my fears - I just jump in the front seat of that beast I call Hagrid, and take a deep quivering breath - literally!). Not only did Peter help me set up that tank, get my trailer fridge running again, set up a spiffy setup for the batteries, he also was there to further my truck-ucation. I now actually know how to use my 4X4 (ooh man, 4 low ROCKS on that mountain road for hauling full 55 gallon barrels), and I now even know how to push/roll start my pickup. I had always known it was possible, but never knew how. And I even learned it heading down my lovely, bumpy, (and oh yeah, did I mention steep?) dirt/gravel mountain road.

Thanks again Peter! I feel like I made a year's worth of progress in a few days. Now, a little WiFi and some hot water (not at the same time ), and I could seriously live in that trailer...

You go, Mama Bear. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Louanne

Quote Originally Posted by jrdavis View Post
    yep. Usually AFTER it goes thru flesh headed to a bone... its stops either AT the bone or upon entry.

I'm reminded of a 2 inch brad nailer I was using to make a picture frame with.
    While holding 2 boards together at the mitred corners, it slipped when I pulled the trigger.
    nails from a nailer travel FASTER than the pain upon entry, contact and stoppage.
    but the boys thought it was kewl that I could pull it out and put it back in the hole!!!

than the pain was horrible.... and the glue caused awful infection.

LHN --'professional removal" -- is for pansies.....so yes. Be careful.

JD
    Did you know that the nerves that carry your pain messages to the brain are the slowest travelling nerve cells? That little piece of factual trivia is one I can recall from college anatomy class so long ago.

Louanne, I call my truck The Blue Beast. It is really LOUD going through those rolling hills and I'm sure that noise puts the fear of God into the sleeping Amish.

Sunday when we were out at the land, I was talking with my daughter about the men in our family. None of them know how to do ANYTHING. My brothers, my cousins, my nephews...none of them have any skills at all. I always had to self teach or was taught by my military experience or any of the men I've worked with over the years. It made me realize how helpless people with no skills are.

I'm glad people, especially women, can see me do this thing and take away a little more confidence in their selves. I've had the advantage of being a sort of 'first woman' in almost every job I've worked and even now, in 2012 when I thought things would be much different, I am still the sole woman in my unit. I had to talk to a bunch of teachers once about my job and what education it takes to do it. I asked them, "Where are the girls?" Isn't anybody teaching them stuff? We have to teach other....that is the lesson I learned from this. You guys teach me. I'm teaching my daughter.

Aiming to get the floor joists on this weekend....just aiming!

Frances