Thread: Free AC

Free AC

Anyone ever heard about this one?

www.mb-soft.com/solar/intake.html

LHBA Member

Earth tube cooling/heating

I've been looking at earth tubes for my place, as well. There have also been some discussions on the forums. (Do a search for "earth tube") As the site you referenced mentions, you need to ensure you design the system properly to prevent problems with mold (especially in high humidity). I'd really like to see one of these systems in operation. If anyone knows of one, let us know.
    JD

That website is one of my

That website is one of my bookmarks. It's definitely the best site I've found for straight shooting, no BS, info on earth tube cooling.

That seems like a very good system. Our only problem would be room. We don't want to remove anymore timber than we have to. So routing the pipes would be almost impossible without damage to the trees. Plus in the long run the roots would most likely penetrate the pipes creating leaks and eventually a mold issue. Thoughts?

Well around here, tree roots don't go down more than about 18", probably due to the clay below. Pipe for earth tube cooling needs to be burried about 5 or 6 feet to function efficiently. Tree root invasion pretty much died off with the introduction of PVC pipe anyhow. Unlike clay or cast iron friction fit pipe, where fine tree roots can get a toehold (attracted by a leaking joint) there is nowhere for roots to get through a solvent welded joint. Additionally there is no benefit for the tree since the pipe carries nothing but air.

You speak of mold concerns, and there is that risk, but not from tree root invasion. Rather there is a condensation issue, as you force warm, moist air through cool pipes. Therefore, it is critical to properly pitch and drain earth tube piping, to prevent the ponding of water in the pipes. There is the threat of contracting Legionnaires disease if water were allowed to stagnate in the pipes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Rod are you using earth tubing for heat/air conditioning?

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a.chernisky View Post
    Anyone ever heard about this one?

www.mb-soft.com/solar/intake.html
    This is pretty interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!
    Marv
    "Where there's a will, there's a way"

Quote Originally Posted by LogHomeFeverDan View Post
    Rod are you using earth tubing for heat/air conditioning?
    Not sure yet. I want to see how the house performs on its own, then go from there. LHBA style homes are really good at regulating inside temperature so I may not have to.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2