Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10kW wind turbine v solar

Blog Entries
    Hey 'Rat
    good to see you're still around.'got class' scheduled.

Peter --
    I chose a link from bo to another link and found that I'm in the Purple 8+ MPH wind zone. (Loess Hills, Iowa)
    We have flag waving wind 3 to 4 days a week. Hard to pick a day for a bonfire sometimes....
    old rule of thumb is --- if the flag is waving straight is 20MPH or better.
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999

Yes still around, been away, lots going on, planning a move to OR in the future. No class yet, but certainly will before we move since we are only two hours away from Vegas right now. Nice to be noticed by the way LOL.

I would recommend solar unless you REALLY have exceptional wind. I would highly recommend actually measuring your average wind speed, then de-rating what you would expect by a significant amount to come up with a reasonable number of what you can actually expect. Everything in the wind sector is over rated and hyped, on top of the many moving parts you just put on a pole up in the air that will not be cheap or easy to maintain/repair.

Solar can be installed on the ground where it is accessible, and there are NO MOVING PARTS! It simply works. I was considering doing both solar and wind for our off grid setup, but after considering the hassle of a wind generator, I would rather spend the money on Solar.

That being said, unless the grid was inaccessible or prohibitively expensive, or I was concerned about the grid going down, I don't know if I would be going through the hassle. It is true that you will likely see a return on your investment in 10-20 years, sooner if your utility rates increase drastically, but unless you go all out and do a grid tie with battery backup system, all you are essentially doing is making an investment in energy futures.

By no means am I trying to talk you out of any of these scenarios, but rather try to give you a different perspective to consider.

Blog Entries
    The more I learn about the area I bought my land in, the less Solar it appears. I have an almost constant breeze in the 10-15 mph rang. I also have a growing season of only about 90-100 days per year. Meaning temperature and sun.

I have power lines on my property so I think that is going to have to be my best choice.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Ed,
    while deciding, and it seems you pretty much have, look at these two sites. They have some pretty reasonable prices and deals.
    http://www.otherpower.com/guemes04front.html
    http://store.otherpower.com/
    These are nuts and bolts kind of places that teach, supply building kits, or finished wind turbines.

Blog Entries
    Hey ex,

Thanks for the help.

One of my problems is how many farmers and ranchers that have had windmills for decades seem to be moving toward solar as replacements. They say they have been far too much on maintenance and repairs.

My property is mostly a lightly forested (second growth) area. The trees would tend to be a problem unless I had a tower I needed oxygen to mount the unit on top of with. Not practical unless I clear an awful lot of trees.

Besides, with limited needs for power and limited bodies living there, not sure I'd live long enough to see it pay for itself. I'm not interested in financing anything and big outlays up front would stop the process.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!