Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10kW wind turbine v solar

Blog Entries

10kW wind turbine v solar

Been looking at power generation. This is something that I didn't see before.

10kW wind Turbine grid tied system with 40 foot tower
    $27,000

v

10kW Solar 10kW grid tied system
    $45,000

Perhaps this is what will be the deciding factor. Especially considering I have a year round 10+ MPH wind. Also considering I have very cloudy winters.

Am I missing something other than my marbles?
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

If you truly have good wind then it is good. Most people "think" they have good wind, but really don't. I would recommend getting one of those wind measuring devices (annenometer???) and post it for a year before laying out that kind of cash. From what I studied, you have to have good uninterrupted wind, way above trees and obstacles. Most wind we are accustomed to is really turbulent, swirling around trees and buildings. This is not good for wind power. I wish we could, but it would take at least a 100 ft tower to get to "smooth" wind.

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/show...2-Wind-Project

Ed, go to this site and read a bit about wind power. It seems that the industry grossly over-promises. My 2 cents.

Blog Entries
    Bo,

And many farmers are changing out their wind generators and going solar. But with newer technology, maybe it's a better choice for me. Long periods of clouds yearly. Constant wind. Only 10 inches of rain and 18 inches of snow. 4 inches of snow would be a heavy storm where my property is. Not sure a solar unit could keep up. Not sure I could make up the difference on the fairly short sunny season.

But I'll read as much on that site as I can. Tanks Bo.
    edkemper

Feel the Bern!

why are you generating 10kw? AND grid-tied? Watch your consuption, you can get by with 1-2kw and never draw from the grid (with batteries anyway). Anyway, if you are going grid tied, I can see little sense in using ANY re/solar system. $4/watt for the entire system is what I am shooting for. 1.2kw will be my array. lots of batteries, etc. I'll be spending ~35cents/kwh over the life of my place.

well, I'm a nut that thinks the dollar's time is limited, and await massive inflation. If that DON'T happen, I lose, but if it does, I win in spades. But all that aside, I don't think you could recoup 10,000 worth of electricity over 20 years. That means you have to save 500 bucks on electric every year for 20 years for every 10k you install... so your solar system must save you 2250 per year... plus any interest on loans...

not likely.

Blog Entries
    Peter,

My healthy(?) friend. I just plucked 10kW out of a hat. I know it was high but I was just picking a number. I could have picked 2kW or 4kW, I just didn't know what the divisions were for wind generating systems. I'm going to have at least two houses. A 30x30 and one a bit smaller. A shop where I expect to be using some power, but won't be running a retail welding shop. Just personal ranch stuff. Electric tools. Electric fencing, miles of electric fences. And inside the house early almost 8-9 months a year. Gonna have to find things to do during the cold weather. May need to power some water pumps also. Grid tied seems a no brainer. But won't be buying a system until I figure out how much I'm using once we get into the house. Just researching.
    edkemper

Feel the Bern!

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    well, I'm a nut that thinks the dollar's time is limited, and await massive inflation. If that DON'T happen, I lose, but if it does, I win in spades.
    You're not the only one. I just hope I can get my spread built before it happens.

I agree with Peter, you'll never recoup the investment. You go off-grid because you have to, or because you think the system will fail someday and then you have an alternative. My case is both. But if you are on the grid, there's little point in paying to produce electricity by wind or solar. Considering all the initial investment, it costs 5 to 10 times as much as grid. Some like to think that is is free when it's all done, but if you average out what you paid for equipment over the life of it, it ain't cheap, let alone free.

Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    you'll never recoup the investment. You go off-grid because you have to, or because you think the system will fail someday and then you have an alternative.
    Indeed. My nearest Neighbor ia right at 1 mile away. I don't know what 200 amp service would run. But then again I'm building off grid so as not to pay taxes on my place, build without permits or the "man" breathing down my neck.

Anyway, having a place with lights on when the economy crashes will be pretty sweet.

What is the trade off? If you start with two equal power sources like the 10Kw mentioned above, which is the better long term deal, assuming that either is ideal for use. Wind is cheaper upfront, whereas solar is more, but what are long term maintenance cost? Will solar outlast wind, justifying the greater cost? And which one will pay for itself first, including maintenance? I understand being grid tied as you can sell surplus back to the electric company, but for discussion purposes, lets say we are not tied to grid, so we must account for batteries.