Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2012 Log Home Class--Last of Season

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I think John and Choko are gonna add a lot to the members side as soon as they get past me on their own homes.
    Haha, I have a lot of work ahead of me before I can even get started....but the sooner I can start learning, the better

Quote Originally Posted by Xsmoker View Post
    Not so sure if everyone understands how difficult it also is for many of us to just take time off work? Holidays for many of us seem to be only a day or 2 tops in the new era of work.
    I feel for yah but I'm taking a week off of work here in Tokyo to make the class...and you don't know slave employers til you worked in Japan

a long road trip for a class huh.
    I'd take off in a heartbeat if it didn't mean loss of job. They been searching for any excuses to terminate us on higher end of $ scale here for several years. Matter of fact they have sliced off almost 75% of us. One cost them dearly in lawsuit as it was without basis - this would give them a basis so ..... it is what it is I guess. Unemployment in my field at my age is around 50% we figure so not a lot of options abound without a career change. Then it's the "why now" thing. So I stick it out

Xsmoker,
    I would look at the previous year's class dates. As I recall almost every one happens on a three day weekend. You could preemptively schedule next year's "vacations" around projected class dates. I know there is no guarantee a class will be offered, but you can always decline to take vacation. Sighting Job loyalty and they need you too much, pleasing the 'overlords". This is just an idea that might work for you next year.

Regular+ User
    pretty much the same boat for me - my work schedule is now out almost 4 months and if I want a job I have to work when they say.
    The good ol' days are behind me...once upon a time not that long ago I would have 10-15 calls a week asking if I was lookin' for work/change.
    Sometime this fall yet I will start clearing and hope I can have the class under my belt. If not I imagine I'll be doing a library full of reading as I will be moving forward one way or the other for personal reasons.

I didn't get a newsletter alert, good thing I checked here. I'm having transaction trouble so it'll be a few days but I'm excited to sign up! I'll be coming with a friend; we're two tiny chicks planning to build in Kentucky.

LHBA Member
    Cool hat, Steve.

How many may attend?

Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Xsmoker View Post
    a long road trip for a class huh.
    I'd take off in a heartbeat if it didn't mean loss of job. They been searching for any excuses to terminate us on higher end of $ scale here for several years. Matter of fact they have sliced off almost 75% of us. One cost them dearly in lawsuit as it was without basis - this would give them a basis so ..... it is what it is I guess. Unemployment in my field at my age is around 50% we figure so not a lot of options abound without a career change. Then it's the "why now" thing. So I stick it out
    Haha, indeed but I'm used to it. I've been back and forth so many times lately I'm about to reach platinum status in my mileage program I basically took a cut in pay to have freedom 1 week per month (that's usually when I'm in the US) and it allows me to make extra income on the side as a buyer/agent as well travel. (and keep my work visa over here legit) Not exactly rolling in the money now but getting by with things are getting better and the freedom/travel keeps me from getting burnt out or too stressed.

What industry are you in that is so competitive?

Hi Sonny,

May just went up for sale so we have no idea yet...

That's my 11-month-old son wearing a diaper on his head. One of the pictures I will show to his prom date some day.

Steve

Hello all,

My name is Mario and my wife (Celianne) and I will be attending the May 2012 class. We presently live near San Diego but we own 10 acres in the Sierra foothills just outside of Georgetown Ca. We plan on building there in 24-36 months and are just starting to get things together. The pad has been graded, the well is in and power is on the edge of the property although we need a drop and meter installed. Also the septic system has been engineered but still needs to be built. So you can see we are part way there. While the land is heavily wooded we are reluctant to take our own trees and will most likely find a local source - one of the main industries in the area is logging. We are looking forward to the class and hope to learn enough to build a log home. Also we booked the cheapest room at Harrah's for 3 nights Friday-Sunday and with tax it came to $360. The rates are high all over town because it is Memorial Day weekend. There are much cheaper rooms in LV or you can get an upgraded room for the same price at Bally's but we figured the convenience of being in the same hotel as the class was worth the extra money. Getting excited and can't wait for the class.....

https://tippr.com/offer/promotion-fo...mail&provider=

Just got this email. Haven't checked the fine print yet, but I've booked TIPPR deals before and they've worked out. This is a 2 night 3 day stay for $59 total!! Hope someone can get some use out of it. We're leaving in 36 hours so it's too late for us!