Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: May 2012 Log Home Class--Last of Season

LHBA Member
    Grant, how cool that you & your wife celebrated your anniversary by taking the class! My husband & I took the class last year on our 18th anniversary (June 4-5, 2011). Since our anniversary was the first day of class, we went out to eat the night before to celebrate. Hope you enjoyed the class as much as we did. It was a great gift to ourselves!

Can't believe it has been a year already. We bought the plans package after we got back to Alabama, paid off our mortgage last August, and hope we can start building in the next year or 2. We are already on our land, in a manufactured home that is falling apart. We figured when we bought it almost 8 years ago that the home would work for a while, but we loved the land. Just 3 acres, mostly wooded, but we've enjoyed being out in the country. Unfortunately, there aren't enough large trees to build a home, so we'll probably need to get our trees elsewhere. Looking forward to having a sturdy, energy-efficient home that doesn't cost so much to cool!

Welcome to all the new members!

LHBA Member
    Wornout & Blane, we (actually I) actually stumbled across the LHBA website in the summer of 2004 when we were house-hunting and getting ready to buy. I e-mailed a link to my husband. We ended up buying this place in September 2004. Late 2010 or early 2011, I was going through my old e-mails and found the info again. I clicked the link and it still worked. I e-mailed my husband and said, "The link still works, and this still looks cool!" It had always been our intention to build a house after we paid the manufactured home and land off.

I am pretty tight with money, and was hesitant to spend the money it would take to get us to Las Vegas. I did not see airfare and/or hotel packages that I thought were "cheap" anywhere. It sounded like a lot of money to me. BUT after we took the class, and even a year later, I will tell anyone that it was money well spent. As a matter of fact, my dad retired from his job in November. He has experience building, and has built many things from Vacation Bible School props to cabinets, to helping his brothers and dad build houses. If my dad is still around and able to help us when we get close to building, I'm wondering if it might be worth our while to pay to send him (and maybe my husband again) to the class just so he understands what we're doing.

My husband is an IT guy, too, but has done lots of repair and a little remodeling on the 2 homes we've lived in these past 19 years. But he has never built a house. After taking the class, I'm confident that this IS something we can do. Scott (I think his name is verbdude on here) studied the public forum threads for months before we came to the class, and I'm sure that helped him to understand the class even better. There is a LOT of really good info on here, even on the "free" side, and the member side is even better.

Blane, we've enjoyed watching your progress! Hope you are able to spend Christmas in your new home.

Blog Entries
    Greeneyes,

Most of the Country would think that you folks are NUTS! I think you're doing it the right way. Hopefully you're trailer is not as ugly as the ugly trailer we live in, but hopefully it serves you as well as ours has served us. You have found a way to build your own home with your own hands and bypass that pesky 30 year mortgage. You already know that you can do it. You'll love it.

Twenty years from now you'll have friends that are still living in an apartment in town... Pity.

GreenEyes,

Your story sounds familiar. Lots of crazy people in this community. LHN I think I win the prize for the ugliest trailer though. I am just hoping it holds up till we can get in the house. No time to fix up the ugly trailer since I am trying to put all my time, energy and money in the log home.

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    GreenEyes,

Your story sounds familiar. Lots of crazy people in this community. LHN I think I win the prize for the ugliest trailer though. I am just hoping it holds up till we can get in the house. No time to fix up the ugly trailer since I am trying to put all my time, energy and money in the log home.
    Looking mighty nice Blane - and mighty big. You are on a mission there .... you'll get it done.

What size is the footprint? I for some reason was thinking you were building smaller. Age does that you know ...

Ben,
    Thanks for the encouragement. The footprint is 35x35 2300 square feet 2.5 bath and 4 bedrooms.

Regular+ User
    @ Mosseyme: I'm here, I'm here! Haven't disappeared. Just busy, which is a good thing! I was rereading some past threads and had to chuckle because I was 'warned' that building a log home would likely consume my time for many years. And it has!

I took the January 2012 class and now it's August and it's been land hunting and research and learning and more research. Currently searching for logs and will hopefully have them to start building by the spring. I'll likely start a bloggity blog when the time comes so folks who are interested can follow the progress.

Thanks for asking about me, yo! So cool to see all the new members, too!

Jane