Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Member of LHBA foryears but still no clear answer....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member of LHBA foryears but still no clear answer....

I have read the posts over the years attempting to answer the basic question of 'how much does it cost to build a log home' and I haven't seen a clear answer yet. So I would like to ask that question in a different way (than what I have seen).

Simply put:
    Lets use a very simple average house plan that is 2000 square feet. For simplicity sake, lets say the average cost to build that home using conventional 2' X 4' construction is $100 per square foot. The $100 per square foot cost already includes the costs included in counter tops, lighting and other 'variable' cost items in the home so lets just include everything in the home (except for personnel items) is included at that $100 per square foot.

The golden question is... what is the average cost per square foot to build the same home out of logs?

The answer to that questions ($$$) is the most convincing reason to build a log home. Does anyone have the answer that question?

Blog Entries
    Sorry. I don't have the answer and I'm predicting that you won't like the variety of answers you get here.

I do know that we can easily afford our home built the way we are building it. We are able to pay for it without a prohibitive lifestyle change and we appreciate what the process has done for our family.

Going slowly, as we are, the actual financial cost to us has probably been equal to the cost of a new car and a new truck, every year or two, for the Boss and I. The Suburban is almost at 300,000 miles but still in great shape. Sooner or later it'll be time to stick in a Diesel or part it out. At decision time I suspect that I will not get that new Duramax, but rather a 160,000 mile,$3,500 Suburban off of Craigslist.

I know... You were looking for an accountant's answer. You'll get a few but there are so many variables... And then there's labor.

Blog Entries
    PS... Build the home that you dream about. You'll probably like the process.

the answer you get will vary widely depending on the builder, but perhaps the qeustion you should be asking is 'what's the cost per square foot on your build'. then maybe some LHBA builders can talk about thier experiences. FWIW

batman, it really depends on what materials you use, how many high-end and luxury choices you make and how much of the stuff you hire out vs do yourself!!

Member of LHBA foryears but still no clear answer...

Well... there's just no clear answer.

I know of a beautiful log house (less than 2,000') that is almost finished. Price: $15,000 - $20,000
    I know of a log house that is much larger than 2,000'. Price: Less than $35,000

It comes down to attitude. "Just how much cash do I want to part with", and "just how fast do I want a C.O.?"

I built houses with a bank and they were on my back about getting it done fast. No time to make my own trim package (figure an easy $20,000 loss), no time to install my own septic, or well, and no time to find bargains.

My guest house is stick framed because I found framing materials at a price that was just too spectacular to pass-up. The result was about a 12% increase over what the same shell would have cost from logs. Also a log shell would have changed other variables which would have dropped the cost by another 23%. So much for my bargain.

It's not just the shell, it's the lifestyle. Do you want a framed house with knock-down textured walls, or maybe Freedom (formerly French) polish walls, or will you be happy with milled pine or cedar walls in your log house? A few years back I found a monsterous supply of finish milled heart western red cedar for free. Now that wood can't be found at any price. That is certainly cheaper than drywall, or plaster. Do you want prefab cabinets (expensive) or spend several hours learning a new technique to build your own custom cabinets? You can save $15,000 right there, and the custom cabinets will be much nicer than the prefab units.

How about a large buffed stainless 'fridge, or maybe a perfectly fine several year old used (free of course!) refrigerator that is resprayed (electrostatic) to color match.

Do you want to find land the way Skip suggested, or must you have that particular spread of land your wife has; (all of a sudden) "always dreamed of." It will seriously limit your ability to negotiate terms and price if the seller sees your wife swooning over their land.

When asked about cost Skip said, "How much does it cost to buy a car?"

"Well... a few hundred for a worn-out Kia, or a few hundred thousand for a new Rolls Royce."

"Exactly."

The largest variable is the builder's attitude about letting go of money.

I do know there are ways to get cheap, or free housing in a downward trend economy, and log houses are just one of several ways to get inexpensive (not necessarily el cheap-o) accomodations. As just one example, right now (early 2012) 2/3 of all Nevada homes (that includes F&C properties) are underwater. That means you want to spend as little as possible for living quarters. The reason is;

a) Bargains are to be had out there (vacant land or improved)
    b) We are a long ways from the bottom of the market. Spending excess money on a place to park my carcass every night is just plain foolhardy.

"Whether you rent, or whether you buy, you pay for the space you occupy." If you need a living space then in a down economy it is best to do it cheap, and log homes are a fun, and inexpensive way to accomplish affordable accomodations.

G'pa
    Last edited by ChainsawGrandpa; 03-04-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Because I couldn't think of anything else to do
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

met Jack in 1985 in Morro Bay I asked him to sum up in one sentence,health and nutrition and he said," If man makes it, don't eat it"!

Quote Originally Posted by burldude View Post
    met Jack in 1985 in Morro Bay I asked him to sum up in one sentence,health and nutrition and he said," If man makes it, don't eat it"!
    I had to back up through this whole thread to try to understand how Jack LaLane figured into the conversation. I think I missed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralsands View Post
    I had to back up through this whole thread to try to understand how Jack LaLane figured into the conversation. I think I missed it.
    Jack LaLane? I thought he was talkin Jack Nicholson!

Don't let her give you any guff, burldude... Dang kids don't understand the subtle changes that take place during the aging process.

ahhaahhaaa!

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralsands View Post
    It's in ChainsawGrandpa's signature... but as far as I can tell he only posted once on this topic, on the 1st page! LOL