Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Logging Your Land for Building a Log Home

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    That would not be me felling the tree. I'm the one watching and praying. No way would we be doing this if they werent dying. If we don't cut them down we and our grandchildren would have to stay out of the woods. We have heard a couple big ones come down while we were out there. Not a good feeling. LHN, THAT IS IMPRESSIVE. I have a similar video of G in just that kind of thing. He can run much faster than I.

LHBA Member
    Wow LHN--don't know if even the camera person is safe on that hang-up! Look at the stress, man (or is it strain, Peter the Stressman?) on those dozen or so soon-to-be fence posts.
    Housecat: Even if I were going to buy one of those beautiful kit homes, the stuff you learn in the LHBA class & forums are invaluable. For example, I wouldn't touch a Swedish Cope home without tight-pinning it the LHBA way.

Lynn

Regular+ User
    Lynn - helping a fam member build one a cope last year and it was tighter than tight with it pinned maybe every 3' or so, but they did use permachink as a better safe than sorry precaution between logs. Looked kin of funny - the chink line was more like a broad tipped magic marker line. They contrasted the color with the stain which IMO was maybe wrong as they could have matched it and it would be almost a no-see-um.

LHN - you one crazy guy. Hope to get to the other side so I can drop in on you someday and see all these bent twigs

Hey FishingAddict, take the class so you can come help us build. if you're in N WI, you can't be more than 4 hours away from us in N MN

I have 60 acres of hardwood forest in upstate NY. I don't have good logs for walls, which I bought from a guy who logs his land nearby, but I do have a bunch of Ash trees which are on death row due to the beatle. I logged around 30 trees from which I cut my rafters and some dimensional lumber on my woodmizer. I had planned to hire the guy I bought my logs from to fell the trees and then I'd pull them out with my tractor and mill them. But I couldn't resist the temptation and took them all down myself. I was fortunate not to have had any safety incidents or close calls. I did have some fall in places I didn't plan. I am very tuned into heeding the safety instructions and ensuring that the helpers stay way back. As I burn wood, I now have a couple years of nice firewood stock piled.
    Enjoying the journey.....

LHBA Member
    Housecat: This was a great thread you started--what happened, did we lose you? Looking forward to some new NI neighbors!

Lynn