Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things too look for & questions to ask when buying a prebuilt log home?

CO,

the overhang is not just for sun shading... it is for precip shedding. dirt+logs=rot. you'll be amazed how much splash you can get.

there are plenty of members who never build... but they do know what to look for, in any style of log contstruction.

-Peter

Blog Entries
    Colorado,

What I meant is that many of what we feel are lesser desirable things about a kit home are things we discuss how to avoid or remedy. Like overhangs and protecting the wood outside and inside, etc. Things that might help if you buy this home.

You live in beautiful country.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Hi Colorado - welcome.

Please use caution when evaluating the advice of the log home builder/expert that is meeting you on site. He was referred to you by your real estate agent, and the agent has an interest in the sale. Like loghousenut said, I would try to make sure the expert had absolutely no ties to this sale, or anyone involved in the sale. Not even a casual referral relationship.

I would also be a little concerned about the expert's analysis of the overhangs. In my opinion, the main purpose of an overhang is to keep most precipitation off the logs. He thought you were asking about keeping the sun off of them. UV is tough on finishes, but not really on the logs, the structure. Unless there is a deep wrap-around porch, the sun is going to hit the logs. Maybe he thought you were more concerned about maintenance intervals.....and I think the sun is a huge factor in that.

Good luck with your decision, and read a lot here....it will never hurt you.

That water thing makes me nervous. At 10,000 feet you have a well? A repair to the well will only cost $10K??

I would not sign a thing till you KNOW can run a shower or flush a toilet. Otherwise you are going to have to pay for your water by the truckload as it's dragged up the mountain roads in a tanker using lots of GAS. Your big mountain house will be no more comfortable than a rustic camp without water. Don't fall in love with it because it's pretty and you had a dream. It could eat your lunch for years to come and you won't be able to get rid of it.

Thanks for all the advice! I feel we can trust our REA as we've known her for 8 years and she has always been great - it's a very small community up here and it wouldn't take much to tarnish a reputation. However I do agree whenever there is money involved it pays to be a bit paranoid and I will ask more about the roof overhangs when I meet with the log expert next week.

Lots of wells up here at high altitude. 10Kft is still low compared with all the 12-13ft peaks in the national park/back yard. We will get the well tested and inspected along with the septic system and a full house inspection (in addition to the 'log' inspection). We are also getting satellite internet installed & tested as part of the inspection as our income relies on this.

The well has a cistern which was not buried to the correct depth of 10ft, so it is frozen and has to be bye passed for us to do the plumbing inspection. I know that it's a red flag, but the well and septic system are most likely part of the old cabin that's on the property so might not be a refection of the builders work.

Trucking in water could be on the cards if need be (we currently pay about $200/month for water on community well), but it all adds up - enough problems and we will walk away. Someone is taking a hit on this house, so at this price we would be saving on mortgage payments which will offset some costs.

The house is at the lower end of our budget, so we will have money aside for a new well or septic system if it came to that. The sellers say they are into the house for several hundred thousand over the asking price. I take that with a grain of salt, but there is no denying you could not build the house for the price they're asking - at least if you were paying someone else to do the work.

Wow...$200 a month for water! Our second home is on community water that is $15 a month. I feel very lucky after reading that! Good luck with the house!

And the worst part is the water has too much radiation in to drink (although that is being addressed soon) so I have to lug all our drinking water up two flights of stairs. Just like Jack and Jill, but we go down the hill to fetch our pale of water lol.