Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building by yourself

Building by yourself

I am interested in any books that will be based on the build by yourself theme..Anybody out there know a good author that gets into this subject??
    I recall seeing a posting about this in the past but am having no luck locating it....I will mainly be building alone, and would like some tips on the subject.

Building by yourself

I think you are thinking about the book Working Alone by John Carroll.

Building by yourself

02-24-07

I have the book "Working Alone". If you have never been in the construction trades, the book can help you with lots of ideas. If you have no help and work by yourself, it can save you time. His ideas keep you from getting hurt. He has built houses all his life by himself. So, the ideas are tried and true.

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-05

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

book..

I had the book... before I loaned it out... but anyway the first tip that pays for the book is carrying large sheets of plywood up a ladder by using a 6 or 8 inch C clamp. I would have never thought of that... This is one of the reasons that large C clamps or on my tool list...
    Anyway, he mentions in the book that some things he does hire others to help doing some things... Plumbing - it think...
    I am not a big fan of working at heights - hence roof work in a prime candidate for someone else...
    Dave

Building by yourself

Sounds like a good book for someone like me too... although my wife says i should get the book "Learning to Work Well with Others". The key here being "others" = my wife.
    Just hearing the partial tip from rocklock makes me want to check this book out. Most of the days spent of our cabin will be by myself. Thanks for the link Steve.
    Leo

Building by yourself

Just ordered a copy...used of course as to save some cash. $7.31 plus shipping. :)
    Thanks again.
    Leo

LHBA Member

Building by yourself

I've got it, most of it's just common sense. There are a few good tips, lots of warnings to be careful, but don't expect it to revolutionize your thinking, either. It IS worth having, though.

Re: book..

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock
    I had the book... before I loaned it out... but anyway the first tip that pays for the book is carrying large sheets of plywood up a ladder by using a 6 or 8 inch C clamp. I would have never thought of that... This is one of the reasons that large C clamps or on my tool list...
    Anyway, he mentions in the book that some things he does hire others to help doing some things... Plumbing - it think...
    I am not a big fan of working at heights - hence roof work in a prime candidate for someone else...
    Dave
    Those vice grip C clamps are handy for this. Get the vise grip brand, not the cheap harbor freight ones. The made in china ones are not as heavily built and will bend easily.

Regular+ User
    And here my anxiety has just resurfaced...

A lot of info in this book seems to be common sense, you say? And yet I don't even know what vice grip C clamps are

I've ordered the book.

very easily learned, Jane. don't worry to much about it. most of us went into this knowing very little!! but if you walk into a hardware store and ask them 'tell me everything I need to know about C Clamps, they'll give you a great education. and google's a great tool too. YUP there's a LOT to learn, but i think you're up to it. hang in there. its quite a ride!!