Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of these log home books from Amazon worth buying?

Any of these log home books from Amazon worth buying?

I recently bought the Scher book "Finding and Buying Your Lace in the Country" since it was recommended here. I bought it off Amazon and read it immediately. Nice easy rewad with tons of good info.

Amazon being Amazon they have now sent me a list of similar titles to buy, and I wondered if these book fit Skip's method (have not been to a class yet, hoping for one closer to Boston ) or if anyone had any comments positive or negative.

Log Construction Manual: The Ultimate Guide to Building Handcrafted Log Homes
    by Robert Wood Chambers

Price: $37.95

Build Your Own Low-Cost Log Home (Garden Way Publishing Classic)
    by Roger Hard, Kathryn Hard

List Price: $19.95
    Price: $13.57
    You Save: $6.38 (32%)

How to Build and Furnish a Log Cabin: The easy, natural way using only hand tools and the woods around you
    by W. Ben Hunt

List Price: $17.95
    Price: $16.29
    You Save: $1.66 (9%)

Cabins: A Guide to Building Your Own Nature Retreat
    by Jeanie Stiles, David Stiles

The Classic Hewn-Log House: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building and Restoring
    by Charles McRaven

Price: $14.25
    You Save: $5.70 (29%)

Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less
    by Gerald Rowan

I own:

The Classic Hewn-Log House: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building and Restoring

and I just browsed: Build Your Own Low-Cost Log Home on Amazon

The first one is a very good book detailing the hewn log cabin. It is also a very good read, and the author is quite endearing.

Ultimately you won't really find any book out there that has to do with LHBA construction. There are 1 or 2 that may mention Skip's teachings, but that's about it. The Class and forums is really the definitive and only guide you will need.

That said, if you are interested in the debt free lifestyle that is part of the foundation of the LHBA teaching, there are plenty of resources you may want to look into. I'm sure some members will chime in with their favorite reads (Dave Ramsey comes to mind).
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 02-08-2012 at 06:17 AM.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

If you want to try out a book before you buy it, I would suggest you take the title and author to the library (or get on your library's website) and research whether your library system has the book, or one like it. Most libraries are in a system where they share books between them and if you are a member of the library, you can go in and fill out an order for the book (if it's in the system) and the book will be delivered to the library. Then they will contact you and tell you when it's in.

There are lots of books on log home building, history, decorating. You may not find the same one as Amazon has but there are many more. So before you buy, go check out the FREE ones first.

Frances

I found a few of them to have a few good resources for thing like site planning. One had a cost estimator that listed a few things I had forgotten to budget for. Unknown costs can kick yer butt.
    I just found that all of them said something like "when you get your kit delivered" or "whoever MILLS your logs for you", etc.

Some cute floor plans in a few, good info on positioning for passive solar. I'd pay 4$ for a used one somewhere.
    Heck, I've got 5 or 10 log home books I got in the late 80's before someone introduced my to the LHBA, if you're in NY you can have 'em.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McKenzie View Post
    Amazon being Amazon they have now sent me a list of similar titles to buy, and I wondered if these book fit Skip's method (have not been to a class yet, hoping for one closer to Boston ) or if anyone had any comments positive or negative.
    In a word -no!

I have many more books on log homes and they are mostly worthless for the process and construction of the shell. I meant to sell them but getting out of Washington was a pain last Nov...

The class will set you up to answer most of your questions and give you a base of knowledge. They when you go to the member side the rest of your question will be answered...

Good Luck
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Blog Entries
    "How to Build and Furnish a Log Cabin" by W Ben Hunt was first published in 1939. That means it was 25 years old when I got it for my birthday when I was in grade school. Great book if you can find a chunk of wilderness where you can plan on living life as it was lived before the word "chainsaw" became common in our language. This book is almost singlehandedly responsible for for my present internet handle, "loghousenut".

When I took the class in 1981, Skip's main challenge was to get me to unlearn everything I learned from this book so he could teach me how to build a log home. He was a very patient man and he succeeded in his task.

For years, my Wife and I owned an online bookstore. I either own or have tried to read each of the books on the list and many more. If you want to build a kit house or a plywood cabin they are right up your alley. Personally I think the LHBA class, and an empty mind are what you want to start with if your dream is to build your own log home with your own hands.

Well I've certainly got the 'empty mind' thing covered.

you must unlearn what you have learned--YODA

I'm glad I asked! It seems to me that there may be a lot of inaccurate info out there on log homes. I do believe I'll take the very next East Coast class...

Sad to say, but I don't think there has ever been an east coast class. But there are plenty east coast members. I am in NC and one of the best decisions I ever made was to buy a plan ticket to Washington for a 21 hour course on building a log home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McKenzie View Post
    I'm glad I asked! It seems to me that there may be a lot of inaccurate info out there on log homes. I do believe I'll take the very next East Coast class...