Thread: building your own IP's, SIP's?

building your own IP's, SIP's?

Has anyone built their own SIP's? is it possible to use contact cement in the process? I havent researched what the special qualities are for the adhesive used but even buying that specific glue it seems it could be done for half the price..?? I guess i am really asking about the insulated beens it wouldnt have to be a structural panel. Just wondering if anyone has researched supplies from wholesalers of the foam panels and glue?

You just need foam, osb and panel fastners no glue needed
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

If intended to be so, fasteners alone will not make it structural, as it will not have shearing strength as that of a bonded structure. Contact cement or any solvent based adhesive will not work with most foam products. Most likely, you'd have to go with a polyurethane glue (i.e. 3M CR-20) or epoxy. (but be warned that epoxies will dissolve certain foams)
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    I've seen where they're made and I think they are a bargain without making them myself. You'd have to have a form to keep the OSB from bowing as you injected just the right amount of two-part foam. I'd rather pick them off the trailer with my telehandler and be done with it.