Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What led you to LHBA?

What led you to LHBA?

After reading tons of threads over the last year or so and reading what others say about our methods, I was wondering what led us to here?

For me, I loved the look of a log home. I liked the warm feel, take you back to a simpler time aspect. I started many years ago looking at log home magazines and just dreaming for decades. So, a time comes in my life where I really want to slow down, not be in debt, and live a dream. Stumbled across the LHBA site a couple of years ago and then joined a bit later. As a bit of a type A personality, I tend to do a lot of research before making a decision. But, once a decision is made I'm full speed ahead. So through this process I met a nurse, fell in love, and lo and behold she liked log homes too. To make a long story short we're going to the January class in Vegas and are excited as ever.

I want to say a quick thank you to all of the members that have openly shared their experiences and helped us overcome our own fears about taking on such a project at this point of our lives. Like many others I wish I had "stumbled" across this site years earlier.

I think there is nothing like the feel of a log home and the warmth it brings. Looking forward to hearing how we all got here and looking forward to many new friends for life.

Rod Whedbee

Blog Entries
    With a name like mine where would you expect me to search for my life's ambition?

Hi Rod, My husband Maury and I are attending the January class too, so see you guys there! I stumbled on this site when googling something like "how to build a log cabin." That came about because we had looked at vacation homes near our favorite ski area, and the prices were VERY UNaffordable, especially since we don't want to take on any debt in retirement. We figure we can buy some acreage just a little further away and build a beautiful log home for a fraction of the cost. The more we learn the more fun the whole things sounds! Can't wait for class! Shari.

Regular+ User
    I was always looking for LHBA. It just never occurred to me to look for this place on the Internet. Better late than never, though My heart and soul and character and personality has always been a log cabin home

LHBA Member
    Hey guys and gals.
    My wife and I have been quietly searching over the last few years of a way we could build at our own pace and afford to get it done over a reasonable period.Several years back I helped my dad build a stick built house and over a 3 year period he and I build a 2000 sq.ft home all cash out of their pocket. Fast forward. We went to a straw bale house build and although I like the looks and feel of a straw bale are cool, it is not the quick easy way to build. Then one night I picked up a american classified, thrifty nickle type paper at a gas station. I was looking under building materials and their was an add for a log house shell kit. The price didn't sound bad and I started doing research, then the don't build log house slogans showed up in my google searches. It led me to this site and signing up for the Jan class. I feel good about it and will look forward to meeting my new friends.

LHBA Member
    Jane, Jane,Jane
    Can't wait to me you at class. Looked at your hiking pics. Made me want to pee my pants HAHAHA

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    irace2win41
    Rod
    In a word "Google".
    For about 10 years I started looking for a place to retire... In this search, I was looking for something to do... I knew that I wanted to substitute teach (Math) and do something else... Then we (my wife of 43 years) found that we would locate part time to Camano Island, Washington and possibly build on 5 prime acres near Rocky Point. I found this website that had a bunch of claims that were hard to believe... until you read much of the material... that was 2004 and I can't remember much but I do remember enough to send a check to an address and a guy with a single name... And book myself and my son on to a flight to Seattle...

Well, the five acres fell through, so I got some land and a pond not far away...
    It has been 6 years building, 1/2 of the year (from May to October, OBTW I don't like to get cold) although 3 years I taught summer school... so it is really much less...
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

For me, while I always admired log homes, it wasn't so much that I was looking for one. Rather, I was looking for a way to avoid becoming a slave to my own existence. That meant I needed to find a way to have a place to live that would neither require an endless lifetime of rental payments, nor 30 years of high mortgage payments, all while always worrying about being able to make next months payment. (I suffer from a decent bout of anxiety) So, while I don't have complete control over whether I'll have a job or being able to work due to health or accident, I can control constructing my homestead. Most people might think it's a risky method, but I believe infinite rent/extensive mortgage is a much riskier endeavor. It also explains why I am going off-grid, and avoiding monthly utility bills.

(maybe I should have my screen-name changed to "Control Freak.")
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries

Stumbled

The internet is how we got here. Our journey started over 30yrs ago with a dream of moving our family to Michigan's UP. Build a log home,raise a few chickens, work at Micky "D's" to pay the taxes..... it didn't quite work out that way. Fast forward.

We did get to the UP about 25yrs ago. Our log home kind of went on the back burner as we raised our family in town. I had already discounted building a log home after researching them, Kits, because of all the problems you can read about here. High dollar, hugh maintenance, and we just could never seem to afford a log diameter large enough to put up with the winters up here.

We did buy our property 20yrs ago, where we now live and hoped someday that we could build a place for us to live/retire.

As our youngest was preparing to graduate HS, I started to look to the internet for a way or a method to build us a place here. "Stumbled" across the LHBA. I think I read every post in the Public forum over a two year period, never signed up with a screen name to even ask the many questions I had. I finally did, then took a hugh leap of Faith, signed Linda & I up for the class in Washington that was held at Skip's place.

I'll never forget the look on our class mates faces as we stood in that parking lot / horse pasture, no log home in site, Fang the guard dog near by, waiting for someone with a single word for a name,,,, "Did we just get had look?". It took me about an hour (wasted time) into the class to realize this is for real!

Only regret. Is that our new members don't have the opportunity to climb that hill to Skip's Big house!

Tom

I had always wanted to live a more simple life and liked the idea of living in a log home as being part of that. I had looked into kit homes years ago and the price tag was way more than I was willing to be a slave to. One day my wife was looking at log homes on the internet and came across the LHBA web site. We had recently gotten out of debt completely but still wanted to have something more of an agrarian lifestyle than our development would not allow and even the possibility of starting a family business. So my son and I signed up for the class and we both came away with the confidence we needed to make it happen.

This endeavor has been one of the most significant relationship builders for every member of my family. We work together, pray together, and eat together. I have been able to use the past two years to teach my children how to work with their hands and their minds for the glory of the Lord as we need to work together to make it all happen.