Hello All,

I've been browsing the forums this last week and have been attempting to catch up on the last six years worth of information posted here. I'm definitely one of you in the making I wish I could have enrolled for the Nov 12/13 class but I'm a few hundred dollars short of being able to afford the entire trip. So I signed up for the class alert and will definitely be in the next class (if the world doesn't end in 2012, that is). I was given a small (very, very small 10,100 square feet) property near a lake and hope to build a 1600 sqft log cabin there shortly after taking the class. I think that's about it for my brief introduction.

Other than the idea that my log home project would be open to 'volunteers' to exchange help for hands-on experience, it is most likely that I will be attempting this project solo. I've brought it up with my family and friends and have already been ridiculed and made fun of for even entertaining such 'ridiculousness'. I'm 30, female, and petite. I know being a woman has nothing to do with it since I read the link that someone posted about Dorothy Ainsworth http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ainsworth27.html. I've also watched the documentary on Dick Proenneke's solo Alaska experience and how he built his log cabin solo.

But from a lot of your blogs and photos it seems that there is a significant amount of heavy machinery involved and that there is generally more than one person involved. I know from the FAQs that I should be able to build a log cabin with tools that are small enough to fit in the back of the trunk of a car and that I should be able to do it by myself (though not as easily as with two or more people).

Has anyone here built a log home solo?

Has anyone here built a log home using nothing but the tools that are small enough to fit in the back of a trunk?

Thanks a Bunch,
Jane