Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Log Home By Myself... Is it possible?

LHBA Member
    I built solo. My wife kept our child while I built, every day after work and every weekend, holiday, and vacation, for three years. I had occassional help, but never knew when or if anybody would show up. It is possiible to do it alone. Hard, but possible...

Regular+ User
    @ LogLover: The reassurance that it really is quite doable to accomplish building the butt/pass style log home solo is the driving force behind my optimism. Sheer determination will accomplish the rest Did the woman who built in the 70s work on her home full-time or part-time, do you remember?

@ Timberwolf: Thanks! I like learning how to skin cats

@ Frances: I come alive in the winter (perfect for New England area) with all the hiking, snowshoeing, ice climbing, and backpacking/camping so winter is my time to run a-freaking-mok. Count me in for the non-winter months

@ LogHouseNut: "In class you'll learn how to use your brain to lift things that are too heavy for your body to lift." I am looking forward to attending the Jedi school for log builders, oh yeah!

@ Basil: Will you tell me a bit more about your home? Square footage, how many stories, rooms, bathrooms, etc.?

To All: I just sent a request to see if there's space in the Nov 12/13 class. It'll mean eating Top Ramen until the end of the year but I'm hoping the info will be well worth it.

Side note: Had I not stumbled on this forum last week I was about 12 weeks away from committing to purchasing a kit log home. I've been at this about a year and have been told over and over and over again that it is very unlikely that I could do this myself, and by THIS I mean all the various aspects of the process from start to finish. It is incredibly wonderful to have stumbled on the grass-roots minority (are you guys even the minority??) encouraging everything wonderful about being independent - that I can think for myself, do for myself, though there is always help if ever needed, and to be creative and ingenuitive from start to finish. Is ingenuitive a word?

Cross your fingers I end up in the Nov 12/13 class

LHBA Member
    Jane Doe,

The Ramen tastes better when you have your dream going up in front of you! If you put spices in it you an get really ingenuitive flavors!

Bill

LHBA Member
    Jane,

I am in Rochester...you are welcome to come visit. Ramen is on me! lol

Regards,
    Bill

Regular+ User
    Bill,

I will absolutely take you up on that offer! Thank You!! Lemme get myself through a class and then I'll contact you.

"Ingenuitive flavors" - that was funny

Ms Jane. sounds like you fit in quite well here. welcome to the family

one thing that My scan did not pick up... She is planning on building on 1/4 acre... That is difficult if not impossible. You'll have to figure out how to stage, peel, etc. If using a BnT to lift, you'll need 6x the pulling room for lifting, that is if you want to pull a log 10 ft up, you need at least 60 ft... There are other ways to do it, like using a Kleim Heist knot, but I'd rather not reset more times than necessary to lift. I lifted a 35' log 8' to rest on my RPSL's, and it wasn't easy. (especially using 4x6's scabbed to the RPSL as lifting poles!). It can be done, but with that kind of limited space, make friends with the neighbors, you'll be treading on their land often. Maybe even storing some materials on their side o the fence, if you are lucky.

Jane,

You will be amazed at the people who you have not met yet that will help you....

My neighbor two lots over is 75 and he just couldn't resist... (he brought his own sledge hammer and ladder!)

Yoopers Pat
    "The joy is in the journey - not the destination" - at least that is what I keep telling myself!

Regular+ User
    @ StressMan79: Oh. Super thanks for that insight. I'll have to get the details on what exactly is part of the whole dealio.

@ Panderson03: I've stumbled into a crowd of unfamiliar faces but feel completely at home. I'm looking forward to this whole process

@ Upers: I love the look on his face. It's a look that I recognize.

solo

Jane;

Welcome. Yes this can be done by one person if necessary. If you are determined to do this(which you seem to be), it will happen. The naysayers serve a practical purpose, they will motivate your independent nature.

The class is only the beginning. Once you get on the members side you will have the opportunity to meet some really cool(some would say twisted) people, that are more than happy to share their knowledge/experience/insight with you.

Your situation peaked my interest a bit because of the size of your lot. Our lot in Connecticut is a bit bigger, but our working area is less than 1/4 of an acre, on a sloping lot mind you. The techniques we employed are actually well suited toward working solo. It is not that hard to build in a small area, it just takes some creative thinking and a little planning. Just give us a shout after the class and we will more than happy to share our insight on this regard.
    Stu
    http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/
    Last edited by hemlock77; 10-29-2011 at 11:53 AM.