Thread: Ubanization in Rural Ozarks

Ubanization in Rural Ozarks

So, just found out that the 107 acres adjacent our our family land will likely be split into a sub-development once the economy turns around. We're about 7 miles from town, which once was considered quite rural in our area, but with so much near-city land being bought up, once rural land is now being developed. I was actually deer hunting on the back corner of our place and had to track a deer onto the other property. That trip spiked my interest in that land, so contacted the owner. A neighbors friend bought it from him (the neighbor) as a favor. The new owner has no use for the land, seeing he's already got 1600 about 30 miles away. The new owner told me last night that he'd sell it to me if my offer was right. It was logged back in the the early 90's, so Its got some young timber left and a couple large fields. Anyway, originally the land appealed to me as a place to build and deer hunt, and now its appealing to me simply to protect our rural serenity. Grrr. At this point, we'll just have to hope and pray for the best, considering we've not got the funds for the land.

Blog Entries
    John3 --
    Yes it DOES happen.
    I remember the first time that I went to Branson and then came back 10 years later and was SURPRISED by the "urbanization" there. Its creeping everywhere.
    I left Nebraska in 1981 for the Marine Corps and returned home in 1997.
    Farmers couldn't sell you their land for $300 an acre, and now its worth 6-12,000 an acre everywhere URBAN and more in town.
    I feel your pain.
    I'd sure like some of that 107 acres those in the Ozarks.
    I used to take the backroads from Columbia to Springfield quite a bit in the 1980's.... beautiful ride.
    JD
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999

My Dad always told me to consider land because "they're not making it anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    My Dad always told me to consider land because "they're not making it anymore".
    Yeah, I'm sure it was a stretch for my grandfather who borrowed the $600 for our 80acres way back before the television was invented. I'm guessing the 107 acre plot adjacent to ours didn't cost the guy that much because the owner harvested some of its worth when he logged the place, and the fact that the new owner and previous owner are friends. Its likely he got a good deal on it. I'm guessing he's got less than 800 an acre in the place, but even I couldn't offer him 1000/acre for it. : -(

Maybe you can't get all 107 acres, but you could explain to the guy you want a buffer between you and any future development. Tell him your situation and see if he'll cut you a deal on some of it. A ten or twenty acre wooded border between you and a housing development can kill an awful lot of sound.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Maybe you can't get all 107 acres, but you could explain to the guy you want a buffer between you and any future development. Tell him your situation and see if he'll cut you a deal on some of it. A ten or twenty acre wooded border between you and a housing development can kill an awful lot of sound.
    Nice idea, John. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I have a perfect slice of the pie in mind. Maybe 35-50 acres would suit me nicely. It'd give me a buffer and keep plenty of wildlife in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    No go. He's not interested in breaking up some of the land for me. Not sure why, though. He said, "I'm not interested in breaking up land," but then says at the end of our conversation, "I'll just divide it up in 10-20 acre plots to sell so people can build on them." Not dividing land is clearly not his motive. Guess he prefers to hold out for more money per acre. Grr. Guess I can't blame him.

Bummer. Well if it's 10-20 acre lots, at least it's not suburbia, wall to wall. Still might be able to buy the 'right' couple of lots to give you some room. It all comes down to dollars. Not many of us out here can just cut a check for 20, 30 or 50K.