Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Timber by the Load or Log?

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Wow, I thought shipping cost were running around $2.00~2.50 a mile.
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty high, too. I've looked at my info, and refigured. I received a quote on some Lodgepole pine from South Dakota. For the 55 logs the guy said it would take three trips (maybe 2 after I corrected the log size [originally told him 12" tops, not butts]). So, for 55 logs, he quoted me $4600 for 902 miles on the shipping. That's 5 dollars a mile until you divide it by two trips, which in the end is about $2.50 per mile. I'm not buying anytime soon, and will definitely hunt locally before I buy from out of state.

I also got a quote on a telehandler fork lift, just for tickles and grins. He quoted $1200 a month for 28foot by 5000lbs capacity. Seems like that'd be great if I had a month off and a few hands. I'm sure when the time comes, rental would be the best option for me, seeing that I don't have the cash up front to purchase one.

with the increase in tires/fuel/ everything else in life most guys need at least $2.25/mile to make a living. If you have a specialized log trailer they are going
    to charge $4+ if they have to go back empty. My logs were trucked in from 5 hours away last summer, paid $4/mile and the guy really didn't want to do it, offered
    to let me use his trailer and do it myself if I wanted to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John17three View Post
    Sorry, when I pasted the link, it was not working.
    Here's the link....
    http://www.ncsu.edu/project/dendrolo...nus/pinus.html
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999