Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Timber by the Load or Log?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cost of Timber by the Load or Log?

Supposing a guy by necessity had to buy some pine from out of state (out of MO) from a logging company. I know there are other avenues one could pursue for logs, but I'm just curious.

What would be the current market price by the semi load, or by the log? Let's say 50 logs, 35-40' in length, 12-14" diameter at the butt, unpeeled, without shipping. Any ideas?

The logs wouldn't be the issue, shipping would be cost prohibitive
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    The logs wouldn't be the issue, shipping would be cost prohibitive
    I'm not worried about shipping. I'm just curious about the cost of logs right now. I've already received a quote for $4/mile. That's a lot, but I'm more interested in knowing the cost of logs right now.

I'm sure if it came down to it, I could pick them up 2/trip with my Accord Wagon; its got 225K and still gets 30+mpg on the why.

Your accord won't get that kind of mileage with 2 logs on it, lol, from a mill your looking at $150-250 a log, depending on mill/ species
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Your accord won't get that kind of mileage with 2 logs on it, lol, from a mill your looking at $150-250 a log, depending on mill/ species
    LOL! Probably right on the gas mileage.

I understand that price would vary by mill, or logging company. But it never really occurred to me that pine would vary by species. Forgive my ignorance; this is why I'm still on the NON-member side! lol. I'd hate to pay the cost of the most valuable for the least valuable log, so does anybody have a breakdown of say 5-7 common pine species, beginning with most valuable down to the least of the group?

*disclaimer: I'm not buying logs right now, and would never before I attend the LHBA meeting. Just trying to quench my curiosity.

Blog Entries
    Mr Three,

Kinda like asking "How big is a ball of string" or "What does a house cost". There are so many variables and it is a volatile market. For example the Ponderosa Pine logs that I got for free here in southern Oregon are probably worth less than I paid for them on the local market. My logger buddy who hauled them said they weren't worth hauling. They'll make a killer house!

There are tricks and gimmicks you'll learn in class and then, someday down the road when it gets to be time to worry about logs, you'll be ready to pounce on whatever the market will bear at that time. Not trying to not answer your question. Just saying that most of us are not loggers or millers or timber brokers so we'd not know what certain logs are worth at a certain location at this time.

Trust me on this... Nobody and I mean NOBODY has ever built a LHBA log home without getting logs first! You'll be no exception. Take the class and you can get to worrying about all the stuff to start lining up to do in the next few months so you can get that house built for the family. You'll love the class and you'll agree with me once you've taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
    Sorry, when I pasted the link, it was not working.

Iron Station, NC; building near Franklin, NC
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John17three View Post
    Sorry, when I pasted the link, it was not working.
    Here's the link....
    http://www.ncsu.edu/project/dendrolo...nus/pinus.html
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999