Thread: California Log Home

California Log Home

Jeff,

Just wanted to comment on your home, the California Log Home, as well as to ask a few questions. First, I'd like to say, "uhhhh, Wow!!" You did a really great job. No doubt you are very proud of this build. I really like how well placed and picked the logs are. Seems like you did a great job of picking the best logs so that the chinking would pretty much appear parallel everywhere; that's important to me. Also, the deck looks beautiful, as does the entire interior. I also like basement level outside texture. That adds character. The cable end lights are also a nice touch, and no doubt really makes the place "pop" at nighttime.

I do have a few questions, though:

1) Did you harvest the logs yourself, or purchase them?
    2) What species of log did you use for the perimeter structure?
    3) What are the dimensions of the home--30 x 30 by chance?
    4) Did you mill any wood yourself, or was it purchased?
    5) What was most challenging in building this home?
    6) Lastly, have you ever built a home before--stick, log, or otherwise?

They don't come on here it seems anymore I searched a long time on how to simply contact them...finally found them on their 'blogspot'
    barnesloghome

I just recently contacted them and asked a few of the same type questions...Jeff and Katie seem like great folks for sure...and man they sure built and insanely gorgeous log home indeed.
    They sent me a link to the place where they purchased their logs...it was a business that carries non treated telephone 'poles' so to speak. Not a cheap route for sure, but you do save time and the ability to pick and chose I guess.
    I have searched for 'any' who have made this happen in CA...not to many it seems. But it does give 'me' some hope I guess. It's hard to imagine that Jeff didn't have a whole lot of experience in this whole aspect of building...I know I don't have to much experience in such things...I guess I don't have much faith in myself to build such a beauty as that...But, I can pray nonetheless
    Welcome to ya John17three!
    Last edited by logsurfer; 10-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye...but only a few will capture your heart....Pursue those

Quote Originally Posted by logsurfer View Post
    They don't come on here it seems anymore I searched a long time on how to simply contact them...finally found them on their 'blogspot'
    barnesloghome

I just recently contacted them and asked a few of the same type questions...Jeff and Katie seem like great folks for sure...and man they sure built and insanely gorgeous log home indeed.
    They sent me a link to the place where they purchased their logs...it was a business that carries non treated telephone 'poles' so to speak. Not a cheap route for sure, but you do save time and the ability to pick and chose I guess.
    I have searched for 'any' who have made this happen in CA...not to many it seems. But it does give 'me' some hope I guess. It's hard to imagine that Jeff didn't have a whole lot of experience in this whole aspect of building...I know I don't have to much experience in such things...I guess I don't have much faith in myself to build such a beauty as that...But, I can pray nonetheless
    Welcome to ya John17three!
    Thanks! This has given me a lot of information to sift through! : -)