Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATV with a good winch

ATV with a good winch

Hi all, just an other question..

A good winch of an ATV can pull trees of 35'?

The winch of an ATV with pulley system can be use to mount the wall?

Thanks you very much!

I know,,,

I will try to atttend to one of the classe, but for the moment i try to imagine what material i will need!

Blog Entries
    Depends on your logs and the terrain. Moving logs is not a huge issue and there are many options. For example the 9,000 lb telehandler that made my log moving easy cost me the price of two used ATV's and I'll get my money back when I'm done with it. It is discussed in class in great detail.

The one my Son is standing on weighs 13,000 lbs.

Last edited by loghousenut; 09-07-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Nice idea, to buy or lease a lifthandler to mount the wall, thank you!

My english is so horrible, maybe im not really clear...

When i ask if an ATV can move logs, its just after they were cuted in the wood... (I dont want to go with telehandler in to the forest.. it will make lots of damage on it, the forest and the Lift)

An ATV with a winch can pull out of the forest the logs with a good winch?

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Nice idea, to buy or lease a lifthandler to mount the wall, thank you!

My english is so horrible, maybe im not really clear...

When i ask if an ATV can move logs, its just after they were cuted in the wood... (I dont want to go with telehandler in to the forest.. it will make lots of damage on it, the forest and the Lift)

An ATV with a winch can pull out of the forest the logs with a good winch?
    Maybe...not. A small White Pine, with a 12" top and 16" butt, 35 feet long weights about 1500 lbs.

A BIG atv weighs maybe 750lbs. Something is on the losing end there.

There are ways the ATV can assist you in your build. Just takes some out of the box thinking.

Take the class.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Yeah i know that i have to take the class... but share idea must be free! no?

I agree that the method to build butt'n'pass skip style must be learn in class..thats ok.

But we can help each other outside of the main subject... build the house... no?

Thanks

you have several ways you can do it...the ole time and money dee.lee.o. the skip home / a 3 story 50 x 50 done with block n tackle a jeep n sweat equity. alot are going with reach lifts to speed up the process and working alone it will help

everything, including getting free help is all touched on in class

we cant go into details on construction .... that is for the members side...
    class just puts the dream 1 step closer

If you don't just drag them through the dirt, but instead put down small logs perpendicular to drag it across, it will move a whole lot easier. The hardest part is getting moving. (static friction) Once you got it going (dynamic friction) its a lot easier. Still, I don't know if an ATV is up to the task, especially if you have to go uphill even a little. Sounds like a lot to ask, but maybe a good size utility version can get it done.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Hi all, just an other question..

A good winch of an ATV can pull trees of 35'?

The winch of an ATV with pulley system can be use to mount the wall?

Thanks you very much!

I know,,,

I will try to atttend to one of the classe, but for the moment i try to imagine what material i will need!
    First off, the instructors don't recommend members do their own logging, in fact they strongly advise against it. But some folks do and it works for them... I've done some of my own but already had prior experience. I've used a Bombardier 500 cc atv some with logging and it works sometimes if conditions are right. The biggest obstacle is the lack of traction, but my tires are worn out. A 35' house log is really heavy, and dragging it is really hard on the ATV on flat ground, add some rough terrain in and you're gonna be beating your head against the wall. The 2500lb winch I have on the ATV had a tough time moving the logs too.

A log skidding device should help, I planned to build my own but ended up skidding most of them with my 4x4 truck- a 7000 lb diesel truck is much stronger than the ATV. I also built a pole trailer to haul them but that's a topic for another post...

Log skidding devices, just a few examples:
    http://www.montanajacks.com/browsepr...Chain-Kit.HTML
    https://picasaweb.google.com/CQ.DE.KC8FA/LogArch
    https://picasaweb.google.com/CQ.DE.K...ckerAkaLogArch
    I've seen some other good ideas over at The Forestry Forum.

There have been a few other members who have used their ATVs to move logs, and one used his to stack. So yeah, it can be done, but it isn't the easiest way, and it may not work on your site. I see you're concerned about the impact of heavy equipment in the woods- it can be done low impact if you're careful with the right tools. But, a team of draft horses is another option- you might have a horse logger in your area.

A book that you may consider checking out to help give you ideas is 'Moving Heavy Things':
    http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Heavy-T.../dp/0937822825

Don't get too far ahead of yourself in getting material and tools, some things you think you might need, after class you may realize were a waste of money.

By the way, your English is better than my French, haha!

Thanks you for this great advice!

The majority of builders buy theirs trees? They dont cut on their land?

Blog Entries
    Well, for us int he midwest states (Iowa/Nebraska/South Dakota) Trees are pretty hard to come by for the most part that are big enough, straight enough and on saleable land.
    So we HAVE to resort to purchasing the logs.
    It would be nice to have that kind of land, but I'm hoping for the NEXT house to be able to move/purchase land with harvestable trees.
    Maybe Missouri, colorado or WYOMING!!!!!! yeah. the FREE STATE.
    JD
    ps. I'd go with a logarch if ALL I had was an ATV..... but I just bought a 20 Ton crane