Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about hauling logs

Blog Entries
    Shannonbeth, Getting logs hauled is no big trick. There are plenty of problems to overcome that make log hauling look like childs play. Take the class and get your head wrapped around the rest of the project. Whenever it's time to drag those dead trees to your place, we'll get you through it. What you want to avoid is getting the log problem solved only to realize that they are the wrong logs, or too short, or that they're gonna have to set in the weather for three years. There will always be logs out there. It almost seems like logs are easier to get now than when there was a booming timber industry.

Trust me when I say "Your idea of the perfect log home will change after you've gone to class". Your idea of the perfect log will change also. My words will be echoed by 95% of the folks out there who have built a LHBA home.

Fly to Vegas and take the class. Then rent a car and take a road trip through the part of the US that has very few mosquitoes. Stop in and check out my place and a dozen others on your way home and get this LHBA thing working your head in the right way. You'll be welcome anytime.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes take the class and when they ask if there are any loggers in the group, say no and keep it that way. The 2 logs we put on the rack today took a day each to get down limbed and up out of the creek. Then today we hauled them up 1/4 mile to the racks. The little 450 JD dozer did the job but sometimes the log was picking up the dozer instead of the dozer picking up the log. We even had the tractor on one end helping for a little while. The guy that came out the other day that has a big honkin dozer said he couldn't believe that little JD was getting those logs in. We are slowly getting them in only about 1/2 dozen left to get down. We may even leave a couple of them since it looks like they will take out a lot of other trees when they go down no matter what we do.

Regular+ User
    Loglover - I am in Willmar but we're going to be looking for land closer to the metro area as my husband works in Minneapolis. If you have any information that would be wonderful!

Scout - I am going to take the class as soon as I am humanly possibly, I have 7 kids and need a plan...lol. I am not tryin to get a head of myself, just sometimes when I am sitting here I have random stuff pop into my head.

Regular+ User
    Wow - that is a looooong drive to work.
    And wow again - 7 kids !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you find time to even type.
    check your in-box _ sent reply(s)

7 kids is a heckuva work crew!!

Blog Entries

lots of calls

Shannonbeth,

You will just have to pick up a phone and make lots of calls (cheaper is NOT always better). To echo LHN, its not hard to find one, but hte right one may take a little work.
    Random thoughts are good. -- They come often as a mother of 7. I'm a father of 7. :+}

Keep dreaming and let those random thoughts come out.
    This is a great sounding board.

JD

Regular+ User
    I just can't wait to take the class. Need to get money stashed aside and get my butt over to one!