Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbe with newbe questions

a friend of mine built his house from the trees he cut from his place and while it has been a pretty good house for the last 10 years it has had some problems.. Things Im wanting to avoid by taking the class.

Blog Entries
    What kind of problems? Rot in the lower logs? Uneven settling? Windows cracking or doors sticking? Twisting logs causing gaps that allow the wind to blow through?

Probably none of these but once you've taken the class you'll never have these problems either.

Mostly settling and the walls leaking in a hard rain between the logs.. It has all been resolved now but was a pain for a few years..
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    What kind of problems? Rot in the lower logs? Uneven settling? Windows cracking or doors sticking? Twisting logs causing gaps that allow the wind to blow through?

Probably none of these but once you've taken the class you'll never have these problems either.

Regular+ User
    in 1972 a couple buddies of mine built 2 log homes in northern MN - started the day HS ended.
    They too had some minor issues they had to work through in the first few seasons but I bet for the last 35 years at least they have not not an issue other than routine maintainence every now and then. My dream started then and sadly went on hold until recently.
    I remember helping them a bit that summer ... gas was 0.22 a gallon. lol ... the drive at around 100mph average took no time. Today .... ouch.
    They built using some ideas from books and I think Mother Earth was one.
    Times change eh. But log building seems to have escaped most of that thing ... which is why it's so dang cool

I live in central Arkansas, building in south Arkansas and have the same situation (logs,land,equipment paid for) EXCEPT I took the class. After the class I changed everything. Do you mind saying were you are building? I am doing my foundation this summer and cutting logs in the winter of this year. Maybe we can help each other complete our log homes after your class. All these folks are right...stop everything until the class. You will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer boy View Post
    I live in central Arkansas, building in south Arkansas and have the same situation (logs,land,equipment paid for) EXCEPT I took the class. After the class I changed everything. Do you mind saying were you are building? I am doing my foundation this summer and cutting logs in the winter of this year. Maybe we can help each other complete our log homes after your class. All these folks are right...stop everything until the class. You will not regret it.
    I will be building in Dennard.. I live in east Texas right now but go to arkansas every chance I get..

Drummer Boy / Project,

We are not far from you either in N. MS (just south of Memphis). Anytime either of you need a hand, let me know. Drummer boy, I hear you are headed to Blane's place this week. Blane and his son are doing a great job. I'm sure you will learn a lot. We did when we went. You will really enjoy yourself. Blane has a wonderful family. Stay safe on the drive and working.

Thanks, we head out on the third right after I preach Sunday. I am bringing my own work crew. All seven kids are going with us. I can't wait.

Cruiser, when the time comes I might just take you up on the offer... This has been 10 years in the making and it cant get here soon enough..