Thread: T&G Car Decking vs. Dimensional Lumber Decking

LHBA Member

T&G Car Decking vs. Dimensional Lumber Decking

For roof decking, has anyone ever used dimensional lumber decking that is NOT tongue and groove? I know a lot of the homes on this site use the 2x6 T&G and it looks great, but I've checked prices and it is more than I want to spend on a roof deck. I saw that Vern Street made his own, but not sure I've got the time or tools for that.

The reason I'm asking is that I was at a restaurant last night, and on the wall, they had 1x6 rough sawn oak as a wainscoting. It wasn't tounge and groove, and i thought it looked really good. So I was wondering if that could be used for by exposed roof decking, if it were a little thicker.

A mill in the area quoted me a really good price on rough sawn red oak rafters....and I thought they might be able to do really well on some 1.5 inch thick oak planks for the exposed roof decking.

What do you think I would be missing by not going with T&G? Does the T&G add more rigidity mainly needed for flooring purposes? On top of the decking, I'm planning on 2x6s on edge, with 2x4 blocking to allow for ventilation, 4 inches of insulation, then a metal roof on top...might put OSB on top of the 2x6s. Snow load in Central Missouri is not really a big factor. Thanks.

LHBA Member
    I would be afraid of what moisture might do. I've seen some mighty twisted wood at Home Depot, when the bundling strap is cut. Smallest pieces are the most affected.

Without the tongue and groove, one board could easily bow proud of its neighbors. I like some rustic looks, but that would be too much for me. Rough sawn is great, though!

Peter

After you take the class all these questions will be answered for you and everything will make better since. They will teach you the proper way to build your roof and will discuss different options. There has been some discussion on the other side on how your idea would work to minimize warping boards so I would say it could work and would look nice. But don't do anything until you learn from the masters (Ellsworth and Steve) Their knowledge may change everything you have in mind.

LHBA Member
    Blane,

I think Vern Street ended up using normal 2x12's. He DIDNT tng them like he planned to. I think that would work fine, especially since you probably dont have much of a snow load. I think Rckclimber used rough cut on his last project.

I am decking my roof right now. Here is something I learned. When snapping a line for the first course of decking, snap it as far down the rafter as you can. This will enable you to work up the roof. I ended up needing to work DOWN the roof for 7 or 8 feet and it is a huge PITA. Lots of ratchet straps, up the ladder, down the ladder, ratchet strap falls off the roof, go down three flights of ladders to get it, back up the ladders, board falls off the roof, back down the ladders and repeat.

This seems like something simple and most people are probably savvy enough to NOT do it, but please learn from my mistake and make it easier on yourself.

Patrick

LHBA Member
    Thanks for all the responses. Can't wait for the class, I'm enrolled for Labor Day. Anxious to get to the members side and learn from there.

Blane - nice blog you have going there! I've read several others, but had not found yours before......gonna spend some time this weekend reading it.