Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbe with newbe questions

newbe with newbe questions

I am about 3 years away from building my house so im just going over ideas. Im not signed up for the class yet but will be when time permits. I live in Tx but will be building in Arkansas where I have 50 acres of timber to work with.. I have close to 100 pine trees with 18to 20" bottoms and straight as a utility pole with alot more of various sizes and also have a timber king bt20 sawmill on sight to cut my lumber. Givin that I have the trees and can cut alot of my own lumber, could a 30x40 with a loft bu built on a budget of $55000? Im wanting to stay at that or below so I can pay cash and have no house pmt.. Thanks ..

Well, you have the materials for the superstructure, so what's left? The two big ticket items are the foundation and roof. Expect foundation price to rise with the amount of slope you plan to place the home on. The roof can vary in cost widely, depending on several factors, like whether you'd want to use exposed rafters and T&G ceiling vs. hidden trusses and drywall, or SIP's vs. dimensional lumber built-up with fiberglass batts, R-panel metal roofing vs. slate, etc.

But to answer your question more directly, if I had your situation, I could do it on that budget.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

You have a sweet set up with your logs ready to go and a saw mill and land. With all those in factor I could build with that budget.

The spot where Im building is pretty unlevel, about 8' drop in 100' but Im in the process of building a rock wall and backfilling and leaving a gentle slope for runoff. I already have a wide variety of woodworking equipment and can do my own tongue and groove lumber and cabinetry as well... Thanks for all the input..

LHBA Member
    Hi, Project--

Sounds like you're sitting in the catbird seat with that set-up. Many of us have built successfully and relatively cheaply with a lot fewer resources. Good luck to you, and do definitely take the class.

Sara
    Work safely out there, everybody!

Wait untill you take the class before you do any backfilling for a house sight. You will understand why I say so after you have been through the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by project View Post
    The spot where Im building is pretty unlevel, about 8' drop in 100' but Im in the process of building a rock wall and backfilling and leaving a gentle slope for runoff. I already have a wide variety of woodworking equipment and can do my own tongue and groove lumber and cabinetry as well... Thanks for all the input..

Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    Wait untill you take the class before you do any backfilling for a house sight. You will understand why I say so after you have been through the class.
    Thats gonna be tough.. Im already up about 3 feet. I have been pushing a little at a time for the last year to pack it and let the rain settle it as i go. I.guess i could stop and wait to do the rest.

The weight of an LHBA home is more than a typical kit built home. They recomend building on original grade. LHBA will give you some options on your foundation that may still work but you might want to hold off untill you take the class before doing any more backfilling.
    Quote Originally Posted by project View Post
    Thats gonna be tough.. Im already up about 3 feet. I have been pushing a little at a time for the last year to pack it and let the rain settle it as i go. I.guess i could stop and wait to do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    The weight of an LHBA home is more than a typical kit built home. They recomend building on original grade. LHBA will give you some options on your foundation that may still work but you might want to hold off untill you take the class before doing any more backfilling.
    Not a problem. Where the house is going to sit only has about 18" or so of fill so im still just a little above the original grade..I cant wait to take the class so I can get started..

Blog Entries
    Take that class, Project...

You have a heckuva head start there. Land, trees, mill, brains. Toss in the love of a good spouse and you are THERE!

How you view the project will change once you take the class. It'll be a good change. Take the class as early in the process as you can so you'll enjoy the whole thing longer.