Thread: i dont know were to start

i dont know were to start

ok first off, I live in Newfoundland Canada and I'm planning on building a 16X24 log cabin this September. i problem that i am having is, i don't know how to start. let me explain, I want the cabin 18in or so off the ground, so because of this i don't know how to start it. also the cabin will be 2 miles in the woods and the only way to get there is by ATV. once i have a way to build it off the ground and get the floor built then the rest i can do (walls, windows, doors, roof) its just getting to that point. any advise would be great cause i cant find any book about this.they all seem to be built on the ground, or a concrete slab, but the cabin is going to be VERY remote, so remote i cant even get a car or truck in there.

can someone please help!!! I'm lost at this point.

Well, I'd definitely say put it up on stone piers. (hope you got loose stone around to use) Pack in bags of mortar mix to lock the stones together. Unless you are a professional stone mason, dry stacking isn't going to be stable enough. Water? If you don't have it close at hand, get a tarp and loosely tie it up around the edges but let most of it lie on the ground, let rain do the rest for you as it fills up to give you a supply for prepping the mortar. (tip: dunk the stones in water before setting them into the pier. Dry stones suck water out of the mortar to fast)

Oh, and be prepared to use way more stone and mortar than you think you'll need.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Last edited by blane; 06-22-2011 at 03:53 AM.

LHBA Member
    I agree with Blane. Taking the class should be the first step, because you'll learn about challenges, and the best way to do things. Many people on this forum have said that they had plans before the class that they totally re-did after the class because they saw that their plans were not practical for this method. We just attended the June 4-5 class in Las Vegas and learned so much in those 2 days. Plus you'll gain the support and advice of other members in the members-only forum after the class. They do teach a foundation type that should work for you in the class.
    Last edited by GreenEyes; 06-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.