Thread: extreme couponing

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

extreme couponing

I found a show on TLC on-demand called extreme couponing. The people they featured were starting with retail bills at $500-$1200 and after all the coupons are scanned the bills are all below $100, some as low as $5. It's amazing.

Often they find ways to buy items that actually pay them. Brand discounts combined with coupons that are then doubled by the local store give them negative prices. One woman bought 150 boxes of headache pills and made $50 on the transaction.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/extreme-couponing
    Last edited by Yuhjn; 05-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.

LHBA Member
    I've been doing a little couponing myself lately. Not as extreme as the ones on TLC but for example, I just "bought" all the pasta I will need for an entire year or more. I paid nothing out of pocket for them because I hit them on a sale combined with a coupon and a twice the value coupon on top of that. If you watch you can pick up some good deals in advance and save a ton of money in the works.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    What online coupon site has anyone used that they have found to be really good with a lot of really usable coupons? I keep thinking to get more involved with couponing if I could just find the time then remember to take them with me.

San Jose, CA ~ Hoping to buy land & build up North
    Blog Entries
    I hear all of you on this one! I have checked out "Crazycouponlady.com" I think, but some of that site was a bit scattered for me, and like Mosseyme....I am super busy running around all the time & work from home. Being able to have time to check a site and/or print coupons before I need to head out is sometimes impossible! I just stumbled on a site called "faithfulprovisions" and they seem to have a deal of the week or something....I may sign up for that. It will e-mail you, but I still haven't found a great site where I can just get coupons for what I need spur of the moment! If anyone finds something like that, let us know! I need to use coupons more, too!

LHBA Member
    www.krazycouponlady.com www.fabulesslyfrugal.com www.athriftymom.com www.couponmom.com and www.raininghotcoupons.com are all some I learn from and look at to see upcoming good deals. Keep in mind that there are different coupon inserts depending on what part of the country you are in. Some of these websites are mostly for the northwest but you all will just have to find the stores and regions you are in and go from there. Most sites will have updates for deals at stores like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid, Kroger's, Smith's and a lot of the other big chains. I for one only have a SINGLE grocery store in my community. Albertsons, which is a great store for couponing. It takes time to get in the swing of couponing and a little dedication but it is a lot of fun too. Oh, and there are links to coupon sites so you can print off coupons (most will let you print off the same coupon twice). If you have more than one computer (or access to more) you can get many more coupons (twice per computer). Do not photocopy coupons, it is fraud and they will catch you. I am a nubee to couponing myself but have a good start to filling my fridge, freezer and pantry so even for us just starting out, we can be successful at it.

My wife does it. She buy about 7 or 8 Sunday papers each week. She researches a few of the same online sites every week for current deals. I would guess she spends about
    3-4 hours a week working on it. We save about $250-$300 a month, for a family of five. So, its pretty much a part time job. If its worth a few hundred extra bucks a month, I would do it!

Having said this, she is not one of the fanatics that buy 100 bottles of hot sauce. However, she has got a lot of free stuff (usually every week). She concentrates on buying things we use all the time, in bulk. Items such as shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, frozen foods...... If you could save $4k a year, that might get you a load of logs!

BTW, she has taught several people in our small community how to do it. Its really simple, trust me. If you want some free help, just ask. she would be happy to help some LHB Members!
    Last edited by jasonfromutah; 06-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.