Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pine trees as logs

LHBA Member

Question Pine trees as logs

Hello my name is Chris

My family owns land in Montana and all the locale trees are Pine, is this a suitable species to use as logs for a cabin?

Is there more prep using pine?

Also can you use trees that have died from bark beetles, as in our area there are a ton of them?

Thanks for anyones time in answering my questions.

Thanks Chris

LHBA Member
    Just as a note My 26 yr old son and I are trying to get the time for the September class. We both are excited about it. We have been talking about this foe awhile now,

Chris

Hi Chris, my advise would be to stop talking and sign up now so as not to be disappointed when the class is full. Yes, you can use pine trees for your LHBA butt & pass log home build. Sounds like you have a great setup; land and logs. All the experienced LHBA member builders here will help guide the way for you.

~Dane~

I am in the same scenario. I have beetle kill and all the Pine trees needed to build our home. Pinewood is right, you gotta take the class. You will not be disappointed. I promise.

LHBA Member
    Where you from Pitstop? I'm up in the frozen north in Cut Bank. I'll be taking the class In a couple weeks and am very excited to do so. I had to almost pull teeth to get to go but finally after 7 years I get to attend. Good to see another Montanan in the mix. Just bite the bullet and go to the class! Sorry I got a little off topic, ha. Have a good one.

7 years!?!?! Waiting 5 months has been hell!!!

LHBA Member
    Hey Chris,

I am taking the class in June. Back in April, I was pondering signing up for the class, made the decision and within the next 18 hours got on the computer and low and behold it was full. I waited, bummed out, for about 5 days then a slot opened up. It was meant to be. It took about 7 minutes to get it through the shopping cart and paid. I wouldn't hesitate.

I am moving to Kalispell on June 18th from Tucson, AZ.

Blog Entries
    Back to the standing dead pine question... Here's a shot of our ridgepole before we felled it. Was standing dead and we got a 53' ridgepole and a really cool center ridegpole support out of it plus firewood. Take the class and it'll be covered on day two.

LHBA Member
    Thanks for all the answers. We are signing up for the class.

B52 we are in the Lewistown area, but I am from Southern California, My father-in-law has had the property for over 15 years, He is building a conventional Garage/Workshop this summer I have to build the House.

I cant complain.

Pitstop

Lewiston is a great area. Used to hunt in the Roy area. Black Butte specifically.