Thread: Free logs and firewood

Free logs and firewood

Had a tornado miss me by about a quarter mile last night. What was once a lot old growth oaks and pines are now laying on the ground. Took a walk on what will hopefully be my property soon. I now have alot of oak firewood. As far as I can tell I only lost one large gnarly pine. It wasn't going to be a wall log anyway. But will be the source of several post for the porch.

Blog Entries
    Makes me feel so safe. Keep your head down.

Yeah that tornado was brutal in Lamar and Meriwether county. It passed about a mile from my land here and did only minimal damage. Another tornado passed near my folks house in Senoia- it's amazing the devastation there. I know one lady who lost her house completely. She was in bed as the storm approached, but quickly took cover next door at her sons. There is one wall left standing from her house. There's enough salvageable pine and oak to build dozens of log homes- it would be nice to see stronger structures built from them instead of allowing them to rot.

Whoa! That's sketchy! I thought Earthquakes were worrisome out here....wouldn't want to see one of those F3-5 headed my way...I guess in most cases you do get some warning....not like *Bang* your entire world is Shaking, little you can do. I find myself wondering how a B&P home would fair in such devastation?? I'm certain the roof would be gone...but would rebar be enough to hold those horizontal beauties in place?

Blog Entries
    logsurfer,

Smile - Yes. Everything is most likely to be intact. These blowing winds tend to pick-up vehicles but I've never seen something as heavy as a B&P home. Look at it as the other side of the mobile home coin.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

The only warning I had was a phone call at 1:10 AM from a friend 50 miles away. Wasn't really a warning tho. Thought it was the cellphone alarm for 5 AM, turned it off and got up. LOL At that moment it was here.

I'm not worried about the walls. The roof is another story until I find out how they are anchored.