Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sun Direct Power (formerly Sound Wisdom) SG-1 5,000 Watt Solar Generator

Administrator
    Hi Everyone,

Mr. Daniels from Sound Wisdom has asked to be able to respond to the discussion here, and we have agreed to allow him to, as long as there is no further name calling or threats. So the NeoViking account has been "unbanned" and we'll see how it goes.

Let's please try to keep it fun and civil everyone.

Best regards,

-The Mgt.

Blog Entries
    How cool is that. Wouldn't it be nice if this thing turned out the way it hardly ever turns out... Pleasant. I'm ready. If any forum on the net can make it happen, this one can.

I'm can only assume Ghostwalker is NeoViking, due to his posts being written in an uncannily similar pen, but this we'll never be able to prove. In any case, on with my comments.

Why would one have to physically own this product to be able to calculate it's functions? Is it sprinkled with pixie dust and can now function beyond the limits of physics? It's simple math, nothing more. Every RE system designer uses this same math to build a system. In your bid to continue attempts to discredit me, you've done so to yourself.
    First mistake: "Each 8D holds 220 amps" The battery doesn't hold "amps". Amperage is an electrical unit of current or flow, not capacity. It's capacity is stated as amp-hours. And you do understand, amp-hours are a value at a given discharge rate, right? The higher the draw (amperage) the lower the capacity. (amp-hours) Stating amp-hours means little if you are drawing beyond the rated discharge rate. This is deceptive.

Second mistake: You claim "two 120 watt panels and one 235 watt panel that COMPLETELY recharges my system in 6.5 hours" Your words. So, very simple math concludes: 10,560 watt-hours divided by 475 watts of solar panels you state you have equals 22 hours and 14 minutes recharge time not even counting efficiency losses. (if SW's inline charge controllers are simple switching style, then its going to be more like 29.6 hours) So what is "completely recharged" then? From what state-of-charge were the batteries before beginning to recharge? Without that information, your statement is completely worthless. This is another bit of deceptive commenting I keep pointing out.

Third mistake: You state "10 WHOLE KWH's to play with PER NIGHT" Again, deceptive. Sure the first night you do, but if it takes over 22+ hours to recharge, it is impossible to have that kind of power available each following night. Further, you are talking of discharging the batteries to 0% state-of-charge. You'll get away with this for a short while, but each time you draw down that far, not only does it reduce the capacity of the battery, it also shortens it's overall lifespan. (decreasing ever more rapidly with deeper discharging)

Furthermore, you are comparing your expanded system to their (or your) base model showcased in the video. Again, this thread was to discuss what was in that video. Sure, you can expand the system to 30 batteries and 4000 watts of panels and you'd have yourself a pretty rockin' system, but this is about bragging of a 5000 watt inverter (supposedly drawing 3800 watts) running on two batteries and 240 watts of panels. Will it do it in the short term? Yes it can. Will it be sustainable? No it won't. Please take my advice. Do some research on battery care. I can assure you it will be very beneficial to your wallet.

I have nothing to gain from whether this product sells or not. I have no ties to the RE industry, so I'm not a competitor. I am just some guy who has a pretty extensive electrical knowledge, who is very much in to RE, that sees a lot of wiz-bang claims in this green-revolution push. With that, I leave it to the readers to decide who has what to gain from statements made in this thread.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Well said, Rod. Using the units correctly is an important sign of credibility, and often underestimated. And math is either done correctly or it's not. There's no room for opinions in basic math.

I look forward to reading Ghostwalker/NeoViking's measured reply.

Peter

Blog Entries
    Rod -- It sounded to me like 'the ghost' was almost OFFERING a R&D unit like his for you to test. Then maybe you could write an EVAL for all of us (less knowledgeable ones).
    I like to SEE and BEHOLD and this sounds like their perfect opportunity to prove it in a LAB type enviornment....
    Sort of make a believer out of you (us) and be good advertising too.

awaiting Great things.
    JD
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999

"Play the numbers game"? The "numbers game", I guess is electrical theory. And electrical theory is mathematical. I'm an electronics technician. I had to learn that "numbers game" before I even peeked into an air traffic control radar transmitter. Rod's an engineer. I guess if electrical theory was a "numbers game", Rod would win with high score. Salespeople don't really have to know how to play the "numbers game". They just have to make the talking points convincing.

http://www.coyotecottage.com/powerplant/system.htm

here is a system that works at a cost of $4,000 in 2003

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    This has been interesting to watch. Now we have SW silence. Rod your knowledge of the subject makes me feel like I do when my nuke eng son in law starts talking nuke.

Blog Entries
    Must have just been a "ghostwalker"???????????

Rod, Spiralsands and all,

I am not so sure that the "ad man" did such a good job. My field is cardiac hemodynamics a far fly from anything that could pertain to a solar disussion. I watched the video quite a while ago and thought "This is alittle too good to be true."
    I go with Rod. PERIOD.

Blondie