Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Direct Power (formerly Sound Wisdom) SG-1 5,000 Watt Solar Generator

Administrator
    NeoViking has been banned for violating our Terms of Service: #4, #11, #12, #19, #23, and possibly more (like not "insinuating" that someone is stupid). We're serious when we say no promoting products or commercial links, and we're serious when we say treat people with respect.

Thanks for your understanding, and have a great evening

Best regards,
    -The Mgt.
    Last edited by Admin; 08-24-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Makes me wanna go out and buy one o them New Viking things... What was it they was selling anyway? Oh that's right, they was selling fly traps that you bait with vinegar (please excuse the obvious reference to one of my Fathers favorite old sayings).

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    NeoViking has been banned for violating our Terms of Service: #4, #11, #12, #19, #23, and possibly more (like not "insinuating" that someone is stupid). We're serious when we say no promoting products or commercial links, and we're serious when we say treat people with respect.

Thanks for your understanding, and have a great evening

Best regards,
    -The Mgt.
    Our Mgt.... ROCKS!
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

agreed. Our MGMT rocks!

thanks for keeping these forums a great place to come to

Blog Entries
    Pretty cool to have so many like minded people in the family.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

My, I missed a lot while I was away. Sorry I won't get the chance at a one-on-one debate now, but I'll defend what my previous "don't know" comment with some facts.

If you ran that 3960 watts for an hour, it would take 16.5 hours to recharge to full capacity with the two 120w included panels, and that's assuming 100% efficiency, which it will not be, so with battery leakage losses, cable losses, charger and inverter losses, figure more like 18.5 hours, or roughly 3.5 solar days. (figuring typ 5 hr solar day) Got that? 3.5 days charging to run the wattage he mentioned for a single hour. (I guess you could cut that time down some with a solar tracker, but then this gadget is becoming a whole lot less portable then)

Of course that's a mute point, since running at 3960 watts for an hour would have long exceeded battery capacity. More of my "lack of knowledge" tells me that his 230ah pack would be flat before it would reach an hour. Being generous, because I'm going with 13.8 volts, which it would not be under load, 3960 watts at that voltage is 287 amps, but that doesn't account for inverter losses that we'll assume are 5%, so actual battery drain would be 302 amps. That means the battery would be flat at 46 minutes.

Oops, but wait, he leaves out yet another little detail. Discharge rate. The faster you discharge a battery, the lower it's capacity. (amp-hours) So his 230ah battery, drawing at the ridiculous discharge rate of C0.76, wouldn't even last the 46 minutes. Maybe, MAYBE 25 minutes would be a rough guess. (I have to guess, because no company would ever rate a battery at such an extreme discharge rate) Deep-cycle batteries are typically rate their amp-hours at a discharge rate of C20, which means a 20 hour discharge time, or easier math, 1/20th the rated capacity, in this case 11.5 amps for this 230ah battery bank. Do I even need to talk about if he were to discharge at 5000 watts?

Oh yea, and did I mention cycle life (the number of times a battery can be recharged) drops with deeper discharging?

More icing for the cake, while he was defending not heating up the batteries and cables, he fully ignores that drawing down a battery below 70~75% of capacity begins a sulfation process, which only gets worse with deeper discharge and length of time it remains discharged. (for example: 3.5 days to recharge mentioned above) This plate damage cuts into overall capacity over time.

And while I'm showing off my lacking electrical knowledge, I will tell you he's not even drawing 3960 watts, nor even 3800 watts as mentioned in the video. He's quoting rated wattage of the equipment. Rated wattage isn't realistic, since an unloaded motor (like a free-wheeling saw and drill) is drawing far less power that it's rating. This is also why the video shows cutting and drilling slowly, as it keeps the current down. What he needed was a set of watt meters on the equipment for real life numbers.

In regards to expansion, what system isn't expandable? He says you'd exceed the charger capacity on a conventional system if one were to add additional panels. Well yea, duh. What is he doing? That's right boys and girls, he's adding chargers. And you can do the same on a conventional system. That argument is pointless. Going back to my preying on ignorance, he is trying to convince people he has the capacity on the basic, unexpanded system. "5000 watts with 10,000 watt reserve" means nothing without mentioning expanding the batteries and panels. That is the deception.

Comparing high-amp draw starting batteries (which only discharge for a few seconds and are recharged almost immediately by a high output alternator) to deep-cycle batteries at similar amperages over vast time periods? Do I even need to address that?

I do owe an answer though. Yes, I know a whole bunch about "this stuff."
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 08-31-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I'd just like to point out that our Rod Reidnauer also ROCKS.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Blog Entries
    just nodding my head..
    ok, maybe sometimes shaking it too.... with Yeah, what He said.
    Wow.

Blog Entries
    Rod,

When you're finished researching this subject, could you post what you've learned? <smile>

I agree, you rock.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

I stand by my previous statement (you all will give Rod a big head)