Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: rotary hammer or demo hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by lilbluehonda View Post
    And just to be clear a Rotary Hammer is not a Demolition Hammer two totally different tools for totally different jobs
    So, just to clarify...The 10 amp demo hammer that LHN had mentioned would not be worthy of the Job?? Do you know what AMP of the one you listed on Ebay ??
    Is there a special attachment to purchase to fit the rebar of different thickness??

LHBA Member
    The ones listed on ebay are 11 Amps but it's how heavy they are that matters also the old Harbor Freight Demo Hammers weigh 25 to 30 Lbs. the only special attachment is a ground rod driver,like I said before the new one doesn't look as heavy but I don't know,I do know that one even a little smaller won't work on some of the tougher logs and when the rebar hit knots I'd have to use a sledge Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by lilbluehonda View Post
    The ones listed on ebay are 11 Amps but it's how heavy they are that matters also the old Harbor Freight Demo Hammers weigh 25 to 30 Lbs. the only special attachment is a ground rod driver,like I said before the new one doesn't look as heavy but I don't know,I do know that one even a little smaller won't work on some of the tougher logs and when the rebar hit knots I'd have to use a sledge Hammer
    Cool, Thanks LBH! That's mighty good info indeed!

LHBA Member
    I went ahead and bought one of the older Harbor Freight (orange and white) off of ebay from empireliquidators. won it for about 77 or 78, shipping 35. Powered it up and it chisled thru flint like it was limestone! Pretty heavy hammer, not like a 30 pounder, but I'm sure it will wear me out.

Along these line and I started this thread, so I can't hijack myself............Does anyone know of an LHBA member that makes the rebar driver that is shown on the galleries on this site? The dewalt that is pressed apart and then washers are welded at the correct height so the bar drives down flush to the log? I thought i heard from someone that an LHBA member was custom making those for $70 or $80? I don't have a press or a welder, so I would be willing to pay that.

I think they mentioned that in class about someone making them.

Plumb level, Go to www.mechanicaltransfer.com and you can purchase it there. Ellsworth said in class (as is mentioned in the description) that the cup is press fitted and will "bust" loose in fairly short order most of the time. This will allow you to then drive the rebar flush with the log. $58 on the website.

LHBA Member
    Thanks - but I don't have the tools to make it from there. don't have the press or a welder. thought there was someone making them to sell to members. Not a member yet, but attending the class in sept.

LHBA Member
    Plumb level
    Form my notes in class Steve or E said the bit Cruiser was referring to would break itself loose and then drive the rebar flush after using it a little while to drive rebar. You shouldnt need any other tools except for the demo hammer itself. Said it might take 15-20 rebar to get it to break loose though
    Mark Welch
    Class of Feb 2011
    30x30 Stock plan. Harvesting own logs
    http://buttandpasscabin.blogspot.com

LHBA Member
    Thanks Mark - checked out your blog the other day, looking good!

We live in SE WA, but our land is in NW MT.
    I get the impression that the Chicago Electric is a low quality product. Is the demo hammer previously mentioned tough enough for building a log house? It seems a couple of hundred $ more for a name brand machine in the grand scheme of things isn't that much more. Thoughts?