Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: rotary hammer or demo hammer?

I got an email with a 25% off one item coupon for this Sunday only. I might just have to take a run up to my local store and see if they got one there.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    Went to the local HF yesterday and they are sold out. Store mgr siad it was a fairly good seller and that he had heard that it was being replaced by similar model. He said it is common practice with HF to keep someone from buying a new tool and returning the 3 year old tool in the new box. I'd still be inclined to buy one if I found one.

LHBA Member
    Thanks for all the repsponses. I'm now looking at Demo hammers only, and wow, the name brand demo hammers on ebay are selling high. most over $400 for a $600 brand new hammer. Even the Harbor Freight older ones are going pretty high. One just sold for 77 and then you would have 35 shipping, for a total of 122 for what looked to be gently used.

I was by harbor freight in Columbia, mo and they have a 34lb breaker hammer (weight of tool and also impact energy) for $400. model number is 68150. then they also have a Central Machinery Demo hammer, model 68148 for $180. The smaller one weighs 15lb and impacts at 9 ft/lbs of energy.

Does anyone know what kind of impact energy the older orange and white harbor freight's have? if it is around 9lbs and you all have had good luck with it, then I'll just buy the brand new version for $180.

Blog Entries
    New news... The newest HF ad flyer has a new 10 amp demo hammer for $159.99. The 20% coupon will apply. Not online yet but oughta be hitting the brick and mortar stores any time.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    New news... The newest HF ad flyer has a new 10 amp demo hammer for $159.99. The 20% coupon will apply. Not online yet but oughta be hitting the brick and mortar stores any time.
    Is that enough AMP to do the trick? I have a B&M store right down the street from me.

I just bought the Chicago Electric demo hammer online; could NOT find it on the regular website; HAD to go thru the flyers:

http://www.harborfreight.com/retail-flyer

There are 3 flyers listed - go to THIS one:

We're Rolling Back Prices
    June 1 - June 30

Go to Page 14

I used a 20% discount code 78536406 and got the item for $127.99 plus tax/s&h

From going thru multiple posts; the general consensus is that this product will do what is required of it (driving the rebar into the logs).

Happy Father's Day to me!
    Last edited by jimirwin; 06-06-2011 at 06:37 AM.
    LHBA Class of Jan 2011
    Build Site; SE Ohio
    Current Build: 14x14 Test Build / Camping Cabin

LHBA Member
    That isn't the one that was talked about,it doesn't look big enough but you can't tell by a picture but the one that was talked about is about the smallest that will work anything lighter won't ,I made the mistake and bought a small one the only thing it's good for is if you get a hard to peal log as long as your careful with it ,it works great for that with the chisel tip

Yeah, the one you want looks like this.

http://thisoldhouse.typepad.com/.a/6...e2bf970c-800wi
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

LHBA Member
    I just looked and there are two on Ebay ,a while back I picked up a spare one on bay for 70 dollars delivered
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NAMEBRAND-2-HORS...ht_3344wt_1136

LHBA Member
    And just to be clear a Rotary Hammer is not a Demolition Hammer two totally different tools for totally different jobs