Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "guesstimate" of simple system

The problem of trying to do that is, there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to this stuff. Every system is tailored to the home. Too small, and you don't have enough power. Too large and you are just wasting money and resources. Additionally, changes to the system can be problematic. For example, I was originally going to build a 24 volt system, but as I decided to increase my solar panel array size, I was forced to go to 48 volts to circumvent the amperage limitation of my charge controller. But by doing so, my generator head for the wind turbine is now sized wrong, so I'll either have to make a new stator for it, or find a work around to deal with it.

That said, I do have a basic wiring diagram of my system showing interaction for a combo solar and wind arrangement. I'll post it tonight when I get home.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Rod, so did you ever think you would like a working vacation in the beautiful Smoky Mountains? Maybe we could work something out down the road when we get that far. I guess there are microhydro consultants out there but I'd rather pay someone I know. Maybe we can talk about it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    I'd love it if one of you guys would put together a mix and match sort of blueprint that combined Solar, wind, microhydro, backup generator, wood, ect. into a simple form with alternative selections for the parts involved and basic wattages possible. It could include how to use each type for primary and how to tie in back up systems and overload protection and some of the basics that we would need to get started. I'm sure you could do an alternative power for dummies plan in 10 easy steps, RIGHT!! I'll stand in line to buy it!!!!
    Can I get in line right behind you?

Oops. Forgot to upload the image yesterday. (you'll likely notice this is an older drawing showing a 24v system)

It sounds like fun Mosseyme, but when I switch employers sometime this year, I know I'm going to loose a lot of vacation time. (13 years of seniority rolls back to zero, along with the vacation benefits)
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Regular+ User
    I believe I got something started here .... lol
    I'm headed up to meet a guy from the electric coop that provides service in area so get some figures and make some decisions from there. Or not - I am feeling a wee bit over-whelmed on this power thing right now. Not a wee bit but a lot if I'm really honest

guesstimate" of simple system

You know, I haven't even read the other replies, but here's my quick answer....

Go to: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...land-iceb.html for a fridge (leave the valve open longer and it becomes a freezer), or buy the book "Sunshine to dollars" for a six cent (operation cost for 28 lbs of ice) ice box or freezer. Stainless "trickle-down" feeder tubes and a large slow box fan should deliver enough of a cool blast to keep you comfortable in the worst of the summer heat with that same 28 lbs of ice.

As for cooking, I have a pair of gassifiers. You can build them for almost nothing, but I bought mine for about $79 each. Yes, I know. Not smart to pay that much money for a simple stove. You can also use propane or white gas but mine will run for a long, long time for just pennies a month. My rack for the gassifiers should be done in a week or so (depends on how much time my welder has to spend on my projects). This is just a 4" x 1/8" metal frame that surrounds the top of four 1" square tubing. A thick expanded metal grid is welded to the top of the frame. The gassifiers slide under the unit and it will boil a 1/2 gallon of water in less than ten minutes. If you want to cook indoors you might consider propane or CNG. Electric power for AC, fridge, freezer, and cooking just isn't practical with solar.

You might also consider a fresnel lens and mirror (greenpowerscience on youtube) for stove top or oven cooking. Focused 1" mirrors will also deliver more than enough heat for a solar oven ,but of course the sun must be shining for it to work.

You don't have to "give-up" anything to live in the country, or go solar, but most likely you will change you methods to maintain the city lifestyle.

G'pa
    Last edited by ChainsawGrandpa; 07-30-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: just because
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

A/C

is not a necessity for many areas of the US. Where I am building in E. Washington, it is dry enough for a swamp cooler to work quite nicely. This coupled with the thermal mass of my house and floor should keep the inside temp in the 75 degree range even when it is 100 degrees outside.

P.S. never use a swamp cooler in a swamp. it won't work at all. the air needs to be dry for you to gain much at all. But I'll run mine off of 12VDC at only a couple amps, so I can run it off of solar.

P.P.S. Csaw, that is what I will use that big fan for, the one of which I gave you a twin...

I sure appreciate the fan. I already have a DC motor for it ($5). I don't know the rated CFM of the fan, or the rpm I'll be running, but my guess is that when mounted in a temporary "pinned-in" pressure door it may only take a few minutes to exchange all my inside air. Of course it will take a while to remove all those BTUs from the structure.

I may never need AC, and I only have about three intolerable days in a year. The fan should do it all for me. A whole lot cheaper than AC.

G'pa
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"