Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "guesstimate" of simple system

At least, i scored a 16kW for $750. Pto driven, but still.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Regular+ User
    I thought about a generator for option but dread the noise of the things ... or at least the one I have now. It's a 8500w but OMG it splits the ear drums. It's a Honda and I thought they were fairly quiet per se - maybe I could enclose it in a shed at that. Definitely will keep the bears far away when it's running so that part is the plus.
    The one I have also sucks fuel like I have a tanker too --- how efficient are the ones you guys run when it comes to fuel? Maybe mine is a lemon. lol

Regular+ User

Timberwolf

Holy crap - where'd you dig up them there logs? Wanna send some down to International Falls area?

Nice looking build there buddy....makes me envious

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LogLover View Post
    I thought about a generator for option but dread the noise of the things ... or at least the one I have now. It's a 8500w but OMG it splits the ear drums. It's a Honda and I thought they were fairly quiet per se - maybe I could enclose it in a shed at that. Definitely will keep the bears far away when it's running so that part is the plus.
    The one I have also sucks fuel like I have a tanker too --- how efficient are the ones you guys run when it comes to fuel? Maybe mine is a lemon. lol
    With out a big load you can hardly hear this run

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...lid=EU3000iHAN

Holy crap - where'd you dig up them there logs? Wanna send some down to International Falls area?

Nice looking build there buddy....makes me envious
    Lol. We grow 'em big in Canada.

For back up power, check out utterpower.com i would have went that route (still may) but since i had the tractor anyway, the PTO genset made alot of sense.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Okay - so now I will have to re-sell the bride on this being a relative "low cost" affair.
    I've said it time and time again. It's far easier and cheaper to conserve than it is to produce. Anyone who thinks they can continue to live the lifestyle of low-cost, unlimited power in a home with limited power and expensive equipment is in for a rude surprise. Conservation doesn't mean you have to live like a miser hermit either, but it does demand some alterations to your lifestyle to be practical. Search "conserve" on here, and I'm sure you'll find a thread listing examples. BTW, I'm building a system with only a mere 2,100 watts of solar. Way below what most home installations have, but I'll be thinking more conservative than your average family.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    What are you doing for batteries ? I just bought 1300 watts of solar today

Not sure if that question was directed at me, but I'll likely use Trojan T-105's. (probably, 4 strings of 8 batteries) That should give me a little over 10 kWh of power a day, while not discharging the battery bank below 75%SOC on a sunny day.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Rod;
    What are you doing on the conservation side to get by with a 2100 watt system? I am only in the early stages of a plan but I am sure there are more conservation opportunities.
    Stu

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hemlock77 View Post
    Rod;
    What are you doing on the conservation side to get by with a 2100 watt system? I am only in the early stages of a plan but I am sure there are more conservation opportunities.
    Stu
    I was kinda wondering that myself 2100 watts is a good sized system I would have thought he'd go with the bigger L-16 batteries but you should be able to do pretty well with that much solar