Thread: Electric power possibility

Electric power possibility

So I was looking into green sources of electricity and they all come attached to a generator, whether it be by wind, water or gas motor. Ideally I don't want to spend money (buy gas) to make money, that is after the equipment is paid for. Now wind generators are pretty expensive, water wheels/micro hydro are great if you have running water near by, and still expensive, but is it possible to maybe build a one of these with a conventional type generator that one could pick up from an industrial supplier? I invision in my mind that to make a wind/water generator would be much cheaper and pretty easy to make compared to a retail model. Mind you I am not an electrical engineer so what sounds good may not be.

LHBA Member
    A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing

It takes a lot of water to generate a little electricity.

If you have a constant heat source take a look into
    T.E.G. generators. If you have ample sunlight then
    P.V. panels might be viable.

The true goal is to reduce you need for power without compromising your quality of life. You would be surprised how much power you can do without and not even notice the dramatic reduction in consumption. The use of LED lighting is (finally!!) viable. I have plans for a solar clothes dryer that would reduce my need for an electric or gas dryer by at least 76%. The new heating system will reduce the electric use by 97%. All of this takes planning, and incorporating these systems into new construction is much easier than a retrofit to existing construction.

G'pa
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

Blog Entries
    I speak from experience. I lived 6 miles from the nearest power line for 10 years or so. After a year or two of candles, kerosene, Coleman lanterns, and laundomats, it was easy (and I mean EASY) to spend a weeks pay for some batteries and a generator. Eventually I spent another weeks pay for solar panels, etc. Later on it was easy to spend another weeks pay for more batteries and a microhydroelectric system.

Somewhere in the middle of the whole thing I spent WAY too much time making 12 volt generators out of junk lawnmower engines and car alternators. I also wasted too much time designing my own waterwheels and hydro systems. Trust me... The math has been done and the questions have been answered by smart folks who are participating in the capitalist system. Modern technology in the field of home power generation is worth every nickel they charge. It is a BARGAIN.

Spend your time building a home and a life. Spend a little money getting power and be grateful that it costs so little. Just the opinion of an old man who has been there and loved it.

LHBA Member
    I would call that a fact not an opinion,it is very EZ to tell someone that has done there home work and someone that's just dreaming

LHBA Member
    How ever those car alt. and small engine make good battery chargers ,I have 2 ,one I bought the control box from Backwoods Solar and can dial in the charge rate

UPDATE:

The heating system (that reduces electric heat consumption by an estimated 97%) is almost ready. Should be mostly installed in another seven weeks. Big, slow, dumb systems are much more effecient that small, high powered units, but they do take some time to build and install.

The LED lighting array (96 x 2watts) is also almost ready to install. I have too many projects that need to be finished before the weather turns but, too cold to glue, paint, stain, etc. is only a few weeks away.

Heating, lighting, hot water, and cooking are viable with solar, but to make it work you must reduce your consumption, which doesn't mean you must reduce your lifestyle. It just means a change in how you maintain that lifestyle.

The easiest way I know of to get there is to research, and insulate.

G'pa
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"