Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: *Deflated*

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    I want to preface these remarks with the fact that I was raised in Fresno. I left in 1970 (graduated from FSC 1970) because I could read the wall. It was clear - at least to me. Nough said...

Its true that we talk about logs and building, but the real crux or focus or central idea is becoming financially solvent by eliminating a mortgage. You do this by turning your biggest debt into a family project that becomes doable and the most creative project conceivable. All of this stuff feeds into becoming sustainable, working hard, becoming prepared for any bad stuff that may (some believe will) happen.

I have worked my entire life. I wished I had discovered this idea long before seven years ago (age 60). I was looking for something to do after I retired. I looked for someplace to retire. I toured almost every western state from Washington to New Mexico. I finally found the place that most things came together. I then found the classes and my son and I took the class. I then found the land... 90 feet from some land my wife's family owned. There were big problems.... But with time and diligence we have overcame each of the problems so far. We still have problems but there seem to be solutions.

Now for a bunch of Clichés... You get out what you put in.

So, deflated or not, figure out what your next step is. You are at least two steps ahead of me when I was 60.
    Pardon if I missed it but what 2 steps would that be?
    Much appreciated to say the least>feeling more inflated for the day thusfar! Your words are eloquent and your reasoning sound. The strange part is that if you must get a loan at least here you have to have a General Contractor signed on...There's the catch for me.Why?!? YOU can't do that-you Have to pay someone with a title to do it for you~ slowly chopping the figurative limb I'm perched on.
    I guess the positive spin on the possibility of such a project...in these here parts....is who else could get the house of their dreams for 200K or under! That's insane but may very well be the case...*shivers*

Thank you so much Rocklock for the kind and uplifting words- reading much of your posts on here as well ...inspiring
    Big Smiles

I want to preface these remarks with the fact that I was raised in Fresno. I left in 1970 (graduated from FSC 1970) because I could read the wall. It was clear - at least to me. Nough said...

Its true that we talk about logs and building, but the real crux or focus or central idea is becoming financially solvent by eliminating a mortgage. You do this by turning your biggest debt into a family project that becomes doable and the most creative project conceivable. All of this stuff feeds into becoming sustainable, working hard, becoming prepared for any bad stuff that may (some believe will) happen.

I have worked my entire life. I wished I had discovered this idea long before seven years ago (age 60). I was looking for something to do after I retired. I looked for someplace to retire. I toured almost every western state from Washington to New Mexico. I finally found the place that most things came together. I then found the classes and my son and I took the class. I then found the land... 90 feet from some land my wife's family owned. There were big problems.... But with time and diligence we have overcame each of the problems so far. We still have problems but there seem to be solutions.

Now for a bunch of Clichés... You get out what you put in.

So, deflated or not, figure out what your next step is. You are at least two steps ahead of me when I was 60.
    Pardon if I missed it but what 2 steps would that be?
    Much appreciated to say the least>feeling more inflated for the day thusfar! Your words are eloquent and your reasoning sound. The strange part is that if you must get a loan at least here you have to have a General Contractor signed on...There's the catch for me.Why?!? YOU can't do that-you Have to pay someone with a title to do it for you~ slowly chopping the figurative limb I'm perched on.
    I guess the positive spin on the possibility of such a project...in these here parts....is who else could get the house of their dreams for 200K or under! That's insane but may very well be the case...*shivers*

Thank you so much Rocklock for the kind and uplifting words- reading much of your posts on here as well ...inspiring
    Big Smiles

Hey Dan. Personally not worried about the 55 thing. But I don't like to hear "youngsters" in their 40s worrying about their age! LOL

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    First step for me was to realize that a mortgage was not necessary to build a great home.
    Step two, I had never thought about building a log home let alone a tightly pinned butt and pass style home.

In Hawaii there is a pidgin saying If can, can. If no can, no can. The beauty of this simple fact, some time things can't happen just the way you want. I would suggest that you can buy land in any of the many places that would love for energetic, enabled people to seek their dream. If you are in a place that has enough people (or far too many), and building is restricted in obviously debilitating ways, then If no can, no can. Find a place that can....

OBTW, I know that Fresno is more or less the halfway point in California, and San Jose is North, but to me Northern California is a land with a little less people than where your at. If I were you I would find the little blue honda and get some of that paradise. I mean Rag Dump Road may not sound like much, but it looks great to me. Chico ain't that far...
    Last edited by rocklock; 03-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Spencer View Post
    Hi Scoutman
    My wife and I have taken the class last Jan . We are both 55 years young. We are planning our first log cabin in Texas at Lake Livingston . Half acre overlooking the Lake. I must say , if your going to build a cabin , then start with the class. My very first hour of the class changed my whole veiw of how and what to build. There is so much insight that you will need . As far as Cal. , ?????????????

Dan
    Dan, Please be advised that all references to anybody building in your part of the Country was purely (mostly purely) in jest. I have the utmost respect for you hardy souls who can tolerate the climate and humidity. The hottest and the coldest that I have ever been in my life was at two different times of the year on two different drilling rigs a few hour south of your location. Lake Livingston must certainly be a great spot for a house or cabin... Hopefully a better location than an hour out in Galveston Bay from Kemah.

I will admit that I miss a certain "well grounded and down to earth" quality of the citizens of your State. I have often wished that the State that I call home were not partially filled with a bunch of lily-livered... OK so I wish there were more Texans in Oregon.

First step for me was to realize that a mortgage was not necessary to build a great home.
    Step two, I had never thought about building a log home let alone a tightly pinned butt and pass style home.

In Hawaii there is a pidgin saying If can, can. If no can, no can. The beauty of this simple fact, some time things can't happen just the way you want. I would suggest that you can buy land in any of the many places that would love for energetic, enabled people to seek their dream. If you are in a place that has enough people (or far too many), and building is restricted in obviously debilitating ways, then If no can, no can. Find a place that can....

OBTW, I know that Fresno is more or less the halfway point in California, and San Jose is North, but to me Northern California is a land with a little less people than where your at. If I were you I would find the little blue honda and get some of that paradise. I mean Rag Dump Road may not sound like much, but it looks great to me. Chico ain't that far...
    When your right-your right. That's the beauty of that Pidgin *straightforward simple to the point* and oh so true enough. UNDERSTOOD. Other than the commute which would be rough, lilbluehonda has found himself a fine spot indeed...it's surely appears ideal for such an undertaking. North by Northeast. Might just have to swing that idea by the lady surfer. Look out lil blue!
    Thank you soooo very much D for shedding your insight on my issues...you all are fine folks. Thank you for the clarification as well... Research-Research-Research...a tad overwhelming at times and I haven't even picked up a shovel
    BTW your house is sweeeet! Loving that garage of sorts underneath...that's ideal! Haven't looked at all yet-but will!

Ill be building in California when I get situated. Trinity, Mendocino, may even consider Shasta county. Thats real nor cal. To me your not in nor cal unless your at least above Santa Rosa.... Trinity is the cheapest county to build in for sure. One of the least populated too

Quote Originally Posted by Log Home Pioneer View Post
    Ill be building in California when I get situated. Trinity, Mendocino, may even consider Shasta county. Thats real nor cal. To me your not in nor cal unless your at least above Santa Rosa.... Trinity is the cheapest county to build in for sure. One of the least populated too
    Well then, we'll have to keep in touch for sure! Was passing through Mendocino on the way to OR a few weeks back...practically running off the road ogling all the mighty fine logs just stacked high in the lumber mills....poor guys-just waiting their turn to be hacked to bits...so your looking for land right now? When are you taking the class? What's the whole permit/Gov scene round there?

LHBA Member
    So many people think they know all about California and how populated it is here' a list of some Northern Ca. county's
    Sierra County 3,263
    Modoc 9449
    Trinity 13000
    Plumas 20,000
    Lassen 34,000

And by the way my nearest neighbor is 8 miles away
    Last edited by lilbluehonda; 03-24-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Log Home Pioneer View Post
    I wish I could go up there...just to far a commute right now....That does sound ideal though~