Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To harvest or not to harvest, that is the question...

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    You might take in consideration that in the yearly list of 100 most dangerous professions, I believe that Logging is always #1 or #2. We are hoping that is because there are to many people in the woods with professional loggers so if it is just us two old people---.

LHBA Member
    G'pa, I agree with you! We were fortunate enough to have the logging operation going on. As you probably know, when you have all the equipment in place, ie feller-buncher, delimber, skidder, logging crew, etc....it goes fast and processing trees into logs doesn't take long. I paid the logger what he was getting at the mill for my trees, that way, when he bid the job, he wasn't losing money on the "job" because I pulled out 6 loads of logs. It just so happens, that when we "cruised" the logs (estimating grade, length, size, etc) I paid him what the mill would have. It came to $3200. approx. I didn't make any money on those logs, but I got the logs for my home! (and cheap!). My overall point was, if you have the trees, hire a professional logger, unless you're really experienced. Some of the work can be done yourself like limbing and bucking if you have experience with a chainsaw (or want to learn). It's dangerous work, and felling 16"+ diameter trees is not like taking a tree down in your front yard. Right now, I can hire an experienced logger (side job, on the weekends kinda of a thing) for about $25-30/hour. Sometimes less. Certainly two of them for around $40. It's amazing what they can do in one day. I'm sure it varies around the country, but it's my two cents worth! I'm not an expert, just passing on what I know and have learned from my experiences so far.

LHBA Member
    Hopeful--

I'd also really think through if logging your own property is your best option for both aesthetics and potential re-sale. Especially if you end up with a smaller acreage, you might want to keep the trees you have. It might need to be a balance between saving money on logs and turning your property into an empty lot.

Sara

Logging

If the trees are right, selective logging of your own property works well. But you have to make sure you understand what you are doing. Felling trees can be quite dangerous. There are a number of ways to learn, but make sure you do before you start whacking down trees. I sort of like the Game of Logging (GOL) instruction course. I'm sure there are others.

If you don't understand plunge cutting and the use of wedges, probably need to learn some before you take to the woods with a chainsaw.

But if you log your own property, you can select specific trees for the application you are looking for. I normally cut about 6 trees at time for outbuilding or sawmill work I don't want to peel 50 logs at a time.