Thread: Should I buy the land?

Should I buy the land?

I’m going to the May class 2011 class in Vegas. Some of you, maybe many, saw my post in the thread with that name. Specifically the one about the land I found. The description again: basically a triangular shaped 10 acres, flat on all three sides but it gently slopes uphill to a 1/3 acre flat spot on top 100 ft above a river. It's covered in old growth white oak and hickory and a some very large pines. No road on the property but it's next to a county road. Well today I went and walked it again. I marked and measured 30 pines. They average 23-24” diameter including the bark. They are about 80-100‘ tall.

I know, I know, I know! Everybody says wait until after the class to buy land; however the landowner is anxious to sell and I don’t want to miss the opportunity. Convince me. Buy or wait?

LHBA Member
    Heck, if you think it's a great deal go ahead and buy it. It sounds like an ideal spot. At worst you can always go and resell it, possibly even making money in the bargain. Lots of people go into the class with land they already own. To be honest I don't recall a whole lot of land talk in the class. It's a subject that's touched upon but it is far from the primary subject. Good luck!

LHBA Member
    Virginia Beach Va. 30 acres Land In Buckingham county
    I would make sure it perks that close to the river they may not let you put in drain field. I have 30 acers with 2 small steams on I,ll have to build on top a noll in the middle of the property so drainfield gos one way & my well comes up another, all a distance away from the streams. Just a thought?

If the land is affordable, you like it, and you can confirm that you can indeed buildable (with the county, make sure there are no restrictions for log building, owner builder, covenents, etc) then I'd certainly at least try negotiating with the owner to sell it to you for a steal. ;-)

There are plenty of resources on the internet for ideas on how to do this. Just don't be to anxious that you pay too much.

I had my land before I took the class, as property was the most important first step for us.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

I second the perk recommendation, unless it's public sewer. Sewer is just as important as water.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

No covenents. Perk should be good as there are several homes in the area all on the river. Some much closer than I plan. All homes in the area are on wells and septic tanks. It's officially a river (Towaliga River) but I would call it a creek. Maybe 20 ft wide.

Scoutman,

I bought my land and then found out about the LHBA. The class may or may not benefit you in
    regards to your land decision.

We decided where we wanted the land and then what to build later.
    Yoopers Pat
    "The joy is in the journey - not the destination" - at least that is what I keep telling myself!